Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Rig for carrying tanks

Hi

I am sitting dry at work with to much time to think and was wondering if anyone has made any great way to carry tanks on longer hikes with side-mount tanks.

i was thinking of a set of tank bands fixed on a alu plate and with a tension nut type for easy tightening of the tanks..Click image for larger version

Name:	BK_38_0034_K.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	18837

Hows everyone doing this?

I have seen some backplate adaptations but honestly most people I know are using these for carrying al 80's. They work pretty good for gear but I actually prefer the Metolius haul bags for that as they are bigger. The Kubi bags are in the low $100 I think. Rob Neto and Marrissa / Draker are both stocking them in Florida.

https://www.kubistore.com/acatalog/K...UBI_2xS80.html

Okay do you know if there is space to fit regs and fins in that bag as well?

they also made quick doubles adapters that used cam bands that could be used to carry them pretty easily, but like Eric said, I think the backpack bag things are the most convenient if you have to hike something in

Quote Originally Posted by Johan.F View Post
    Okay do you know if there is space to fit regs and fins in that bag as well?
    The bags will accommodate the tanks with regs on them. The fins won't fit in there at the same time. You don't want an overly big bag for carrying the tanks. If they are rolling around it will cause you to fall. If you want a large bag get an El Cap bag from Metolius. You could carry whatever you would like in this bag. I use two of the Kubi bags for carrying tanks in Mexico and can fit everything else and the kitchen sink in my haul bag. I previously used a heavy mesh scuba backpack bag and they kept ripping from being overloaded.

https://www.metoliusclimbing.com/haul_bags.html

Last edited by bamafan; 09-21-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    I have seen some backplate adaptations but honestly most people I know are using these for carrying al 80's. They work pretty good for gear but I actually prefer the Metolius haul bags for that as they are bigger. The Kubi bags are in the low $100 I think. Rob Neto and Marrissa / Draker are both stocking them in Florida.

https://www.kubistore.com/acatalog/K...UBI_2xS80.html
    I have one of these and whilst they aren't cheap, they are by far the best solution and very comfortable to use. The bands allow you to tighten the rucksack to stop tanks shifting around.

Administrator Forum Admin

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I use adjustable length 2" webbing belt with two hooks on ends. Belt goes over shoulder or over a neck. Sometimes I use it to lower tank in a water undoing the middle tank hook. I found that hooks are more robust than carabiners. The disadvantage (or advantage) is that I can carry one tank a time but I actually have more stability especially somewhere walking a slippery sinkhole slope. Same belt straps two tanks together while rolling them on a dolly or tied down inside a plastic sled. Plastic sled goes amazingly easy over palmetto scrub while aluminum movers dolly is good on forestry roads and can be pulled behind a mountain bike. Garden vagon is also a great thing but does not work in true jungle where the sled really rocks.