Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rust on Faber/OMS LP85s

Hi All,

I’ve just been offered some Faber/OMS LP85s and as you can see the bottoms (that were under boots) are somewhat rusty.

I’ve been offered them at $300 as is or $480 with fresh hydro/visual, tumbling and O2 cleaning of tanks and valves. They are banded and have a Dive Rite manifold. There does not appear to be any other significant rust higher up.

I can definitely do a cleanup and coat with ZRC but was wondering whether it’s worthwhile at this price. My other option is getting some fresh HDG Faber LP85s but that adds about $400 including shipping unless someone has some Worthington LP85s that they’d like to sell me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	03475DBF-CB8B-444D-8B1A-5C5ACBAF9ECA.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	18823

Thanks,

D.

Quote Originally Posted by DDKL View Post
    Hi All,

I’ve just been offered some Faber/OMS LP85s and as you can see the bottoms (that were under boots) are somewhat rusty.

I’ve been offered them at $300 as is or $480 with fresh hydro/visual, tumbling and O2 cleaning of tanks and valves. They are banded and have a Dive Rite manifold. There does not appear to be any other significant rust higher up.

I can definitely do a cleanup and coat with ZRC but was wondering whether it’s worthwhile at this price. My other option is getting some fresh HDG Faber LP85s but that adds about $400 including shipping unless someone has some Worthington LP85s that they’d like to sell me.

Attachment 18823

Thanks,

D.
    If you buy them, have them hydro them. I had a set of Faber 95s with the same amount of rust, and the hydro facility refused to hydro them unless there were free of rust. If the paint was stripped and signs of sand blasting, they would be condemned. Good luck, but what I went through recently, I won't take any Fabers with rust like that.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

I wouldn’t consider them without a guarantee of hydro with + rating.

I’d likely be paint stripping, gently sanding and then 3 layers of ZRC rollered on... Just the bottoms intitially but then probably a full strip and repaint before next visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    If you buy them, have them hydro them. I had a set of Faber 95s with the same amount of rust, and the hydro facility refused to hydro them unless there were free of rust. If the paint was stripped and signs of sand blasting, they would be condemned. Good luck, but what I went through recently, I won't take any Fabers with rust like that.
    Were you able to get yours sorted out?

Were you able to get yours sorted out?
    Nope, tanks were sent to salvage

welcome to the rusty grey tank club. I have one like this i use for o2. super rusty but spotless inside. always passes hydro and vip.
    I got rid of the rust in the beginning with naval jelly etc. but it just rusted again and I left it as is. seems totally fine
    300 price is good. you can probably do better on the hydro and vips than 180 extra dollars. if you're worried about a hydro facility accepting them, it's pretty easy to remove that surface rust.

Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post
    welcome to the rusty grey tank club. I have one like this i use for o2. super rusty but spotless inside. always passes hydro and vip.
    I got rid of the rust in the beginning with naval jelly etc. but it just rusted again and I left it as is. seems totally fine
    300 price is good. you can probably do better on the hydro and vips than 180 extra dollars. if you're worried about a hydro facility accepting them, it's pretty easy to remove that surface rust.
    The big question mark is if it is just surface rust or a little deeper. The bummer is doing all the work and having them be condemned, and having to pay the hydro fee. By the time I went through that expense I could get another set of tanks.

Most important is why take the risk? To save a little cheese? It seems to me everytime I try to cheap out on something it ends up costing me twice as much in the long run.

Faber 85s come up pretty regularly here for about $400-450. Why pay near full used price for a gamble on some tanks just to save a few bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Most important is why take the risk? To save a little cheese? It seems to me everytime I try to cheap out on something it ends up costing me twice as much in the long run.

Faber 85s come up pretty regularly here for about $400-450. Why pay near full used price for a gamble on some tanks just to save a few bucks?
    They don’t come up locally often so shipping has to be added and I’ve been looking for a set for a while and I can inspect these in person prior to accepting them...

However, if anyone has a manifolded set for $400 to $450 in the Midwest that they want to sell I’d be very interested, especially if they’re Worthington rather than Faber.

They don?t come up locally often so shipping has to be added and I?ve been looking for a set for a while and I can inspect these in person prior to accepting them...

However, if anyone has a manifolded set for $400 to $450 in the Midwest that they want to sell I?d be very interested, especially if they?re Worthington rather than Faber.
    Plenty of tanks have found rides from cave country to the far corners of the us and Canada for people from Cdf buys.