Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Just pin the jump already, it's not that hard...
    And IMHO a line should be run from where you can inflate your wing and you'll hit the surface. without bouncing off a ceiling, lol. It's pure laziness not to run a primary, I run one in the Ear with multiple stages and scooters, practice makes perfect. When the SHTF the muscle memory's there...

Safe diving,

Rich
    Clothespin or cookie?

One pin for the team, or one for each diver?

While one per diver does add a lot of stuff on the line, there's at least one fatality that may have been avoided by following that protocol -- Diver A left thinking Diver B bolted for the door, Diver B ran out of gas trying to swim out.

Another option is one non-navigational marker per diver on the jump line itself, and one for the team marking the exit side on the main line. That will keep the main line clean while allowing non-navigational markers to indicate a diver is "still in the cave".

There's several different options right there.

Ken Sallot

I just drop a cookie when I encounter arrows pointing against my exit, not a big deal. In Mexico I dropped a LOT of cookies.

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Administrator Forum Admin

I only drop arrows when I am exploring. I use cookies or clips for personal markers. I don't dive Mexico much, but a REM would make more sense where there are multiple entrances.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by gschaut View Post
    You found my reel!
    Looks like one i had in a knee drop in heavy silt on a shallow dive. Fun dive

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Clothespin or cookie?

One pin for the team, or one for each diver?

While one per diver does add a lot of stuff on the line, there's at least one fatality that may have been avoided by following that protocol -- Diver A left thinking Diver B bolted for the door, Diver B ran out of gas trying to swim out.

Another option is one non-navigational marker per diver on the jump line itself, and one for the team marking the exit side on the main line. That will keep the main line clean while allowing non-navigational markers to indicate a diver is "still in the cave".

There's several different options right there.
    LOL, I teach it the way I was taught by both of my cave instructors in the 90's (Bill Dooley and Rose Meadows) and all six instructors that I interned and co-taught with in the early 2000's. There were a lot less cave divers and instructors back then and not so many opinions and options...

Safe diving,

Rich

P.S. The CDF was around though!

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    LOL, I teach it the way I was taught by both of my cave instructors in the 90's (Bill Dooley and Rose Meadows) and all six instructors that I interned and co-taught with in the early 2000's. There were a lot less cave divers and instructors back then and not so many opinions and options...

Safe diving,

Rich

P.S. The CDF was around though!
    And people used to dive 1/2+200 in their doubles. But times change and procedures evolve based on accident analysis bro.

Ken Sallot

For what's it worth, I was taught clothespins by my cave instructor (Lloyd Bailey) in 1994. Some of the guys I interned with used line arrows, some used clothespins, some used cookies. I used to believe firmly in a single one for the team, but changed my mind in mid-2015.

Ken Sallot

IDK anyone who dove 1/2 + 200's! For what it's worth, there were a lot less "accidents" back then too, bro...

Safe diving.

Rich

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves