Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Administrator Forum Admin

You guys are just too neat

My aluminum tanks are all standing in my gear cage (old dog pen). The steel tanks are stacked, lying down, on the floor.
    Everything else is either in plastic tubs or hanging up to dry.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    Here is what we are using for a tank rack. It is some fairly generic shelving you could probably get at Lowe's or Home Depot. Originally it came with particle board shelf inserts but over time they wore out so I replace them with half inch plywood. I also added two shelves in order to tighten down the space and maximize the amount of tanks that could be stored on here. This helped to create a couple of shorter shelves for smaller diameter tanks such as LP 50s or smaller.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks. My garage is becoming severly limited in space. One side is all of my non-diving tools, sports equipment and washer/dryer. The other side is filled with a fridge, tanks, my compressor, booster, and excess dive gear. The tall racks would work but I'm hoping to integrate a workbench and tank storage into one to cut down space.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    http://hammerzone.com/archives/works...below20xl.html

Here's a very simple plan I have used and modified for many benches/shelves, etc. in my garage. I have basically this std. bench with my tanks stacked on the bottom shelf. Plan to come up with something fancier now that I have more tanks but even with the most basic skills or a buddy who knows how to use a tape measure/miter saw you could whip this up for cheap cheap cheap. Then once you learn to make this basic model you can start changing the dimensions to accommodate whatever. I have a build mods of this plan to fit corners of the garage between doors/hot water heater etc. Hope it helps.

Thanks. I've looked at a few of these online. I have the skills enough to build it, I just knew I'd be happier with quality of someone like a Steve Boyer. The basic design isn't too hard to do, but the part that I'm getting stuck on is the sturdiest way to add a shelf in the middle so I have two tank racks. It would need crossbars to keep it from sagging.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    Here is what we are using for a tank rack. It is some fairly generic shelving you could probably get at Lowe's or Home Depot. Originally it came with particle board shelf inserts but over time they wore out so I replace them with half inch plywood. I also added two shelves in order to tighten down the space and maximize the amount of tanks that could be stored on here. This helped to create a couple of shorter shelves for smaller diameter tanks such as LP 50s or smaller.

I like the rubber top

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    http://hammerzone.com/archives/works...below20xl.html

Here's a very simple plan I have used and modified for many benches/shelves, etc. in my garage. I have basically this std. bench with my tanks stacked on the bottom shelf. Plan to come up with something fancier now that I have more tanks but even with the most basic skills or a buddy who knows how to use a tape measure/miter saw you could whip this up for cheap cheap cheap. Then once you learn to make this basic model you can start changing the dimensions to accommodate whatever. I have a build mods of this plan to fit corners of the garage between doors/hot water heater etc. Hope it helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    Work-in-progress of my new workbench/tank storage. Plan is to add drawers - 1 vertical tank wide, 3 deep - for easy access to the ones in the back. Might get a bit expensive to add all those guide rails though. I've glued rubber sheet on top of the bench for extra grip.

Attachment 18805

Additional equipment Storage Solutions... I like to make everything as easy as possible to prepare and load. On one side we have the tank rack on the other side we have all of our hanging equipment and underneath Action Packers that can be quickly loaded with gear for the day.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to do tank racks below the hanging storage that I currently have which would eliminate the rack in the garage pictured earlier.

Here is what I did when we built our house 2 years ago. We went to a surplus cabinet store and got cabinets and counter top. Sorb and RB bottles fit in the 2 of the lower cabinets. I Let one cabinet out for the DPVs. It makes a nice work area for the scuba gear, great height for putting together gear. I also have 2, 10 outlet strips for charging lights and other stuff. ALM tanks are sitting up right to the left of the bank bottles and chained to the wall, all steel tanks are laying in front of the banks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Scuba room.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	18812   Click image for larger version

Name:	meg 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	18813   Click image for larger version

Name:	meg.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	18814  

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    What's the ideal width to be able to get those doubles easily in and out, without wasting too much space? 10 or 12 inches or so?

Jim

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I like the rubber top
    I like how the hammer is the most easily accessible tool.

I'm glad this and the truck bed thread came up. I've been making-do, but these motivate me to actually make things that fit my needs, rather than organizing the space to fit whatever free/cheap/available furniture I have.

Jim

Same here. Always looking to improve how gear is stored and transported.

Quote Originally Posted by moose_grunt View Post
    What's the ideal width to be able to get those doubles easily in and out, without wasting too much space? 10 or 12 inches or so?

Jim

There's 8.5" between stud faces, so 10" on center. Tanks slip in and out easily. Eventually I plan to build a single tank rack too

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    That Craigslist guys stuff looks very good especially for the price. I wish there was somebody around here doing that stuff that teach.
    https://schoolofwoodwork.com/ - your neck of the woods
    https://strawwoodwork.com/classes/ - pick your own project
    https://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-901...orner+brackets
    I did something like this for my workbench. Cut some plywood and some 2x4s and you're good to go. At the time, I lived in the townhouses so had no tools, etc, so Mr. Boyer came to the rescue. Now, thankfully, I'm able to do it myself. I'm working on plans for a garage/shed/barn/workshop and will build one that will end up similar.
    Mr. Boyer also hooked me up with a tank rank. I'd be happy to take pictures or you can swing my to see them any time on your way to Ginnie - I'm right off Poe Springs Road.

----
    Cave Mann