Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Garage tank rack/workbench ideas

I plan on changing around my workspace in my garage a little bit in preparation for 2 rebreathers that will be showing up in a couple of months. I'm looking to build/have built a combination workbench with 2 rows of tank racks for sidemount and bailout bottles underneath.

Originally I planned to have Steve build it for me, but as we know, sadly that won't be able to happen. I'm looking for photos of good setups you may have so I can steal ideas and either build it myself or hire someone with way better skills than me to build based off of photos.

send me ur email address again

Here is kind of what I'm putting together. I like a large work table that has 360 degree access so more than one person can be working at a time. Large enough to fully break down equpment and spread out what you're working with. I've got a section of bowling alley floor that is 8' long and 4' wide. I'll be building a frame work underneath it similar to what you see in this posting:

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/...654810864.html

I'll get some pictures soon. I thought about doing the tank rank underneath but am not excited about stooping over to pull tanks out. Currently I've got a rack that is seperate from my work area, positioned right near the garage door I back up to for loading. It is about 8' tall and reinforced with plywood shelves.

My Garage is a bit crazy right now as we just moved into a new house a few weeks ago but it has allowed me once again to tweak my dive gear storage/workshop setup. I'll have pictures soon.

I did recently modify a closet that we had put in right near the door to the garage. Nothing fancy, but climate controlled storage for anything with batteries (lights, cameras, scooters) and drysuit storage. There is a receptacle near the floor for charging scooters and I'm adding a 4 gang receptacle box on the 2nd shelf where the lights are so I'll have ample space to plug up multiple chargers prior to a day of diving. We've got another closet adjacent to this one that has a hanging closet bar for wetsuits and undergarments. We also keep the spearguns/pole spears in there.

Pics of the closet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That Craigslist guys stuff looks very good especially for the price. I wish there was somebody around here doing that stuff that teach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170408_154023.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	18804

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Here is what we are using for a tank rack. It is some fairly generic shelving you could probably get at Lowe's or Home Depot. Originally it came with particle board shelf inserts but over time they wore out so I replace them with half inch plywood. I also added two shelves in order to tighten down the space and maximize the amount of tanks that could be stored on here. This helped to create a couple of shorter shelves for smaller diameter tanks such as LP 50s or smaller.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

http://hammerzone.com/archives/works...below20xl.html

Here's a very simple plan I have used and modified for many benches/shelves, etc. in my garage. I have basically this std. bench with my tanks stacked on the bottom shelf. Plan to come up with something fancier now that I have more tanks but even with the most basic skills or a buddy who knows how to use a tape measure/miter saw you could whip this up for cheap cheap cheap. Then once you learn to make this basic model you can start changing the dimensions to accommodate whatever. I have a build mods of this plan to fit corners of the garage between doors/hot water heater etc. Hope it helps.

Work-in-progress of my new workbench/tank storage. Plan is to add drawers - 1 vertical tank wide, 3 deep - for easy access to the ones in the back. Might get a bit expensive to add all those guide rails though. I've glued rubber sheet on top of the bench for extra grip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3440.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	18805