Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I had an SMS 100 and Edd told me to put weights on the tanks. I went to Mexico and it really sucked. I got back and told him it really sucked. He looked at the ground and mumbled you are right. The problem with any rig like that it the wing covers up the waist strap so you are unable to get a high d'ring for when the tanks are full. The low d'ring isn't an issue. You can hook the tanks to the rails then move them down to a low d'ring but you are shifting the tanks forward. Like Rddvet said you will be a laughing stock too. I don't know who you are going with but if you have a good guide and you show up with an SMS, Nomad, Armadillo etc you are probably not going to get to see the really cool cave.

Guess I should change the thread title to ? favorite SM rig for Mexico, GO...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically 2 camps in Mexico. Xdeep or the Razor. If you are looking for an all around rig I would get with Marissa and check out the Xdeep. I would recommend Draker but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    Basically 2 camps in Mexico. Xdeep or the Razor. If you are looking for an all around rig I would get with Marissa and check out the Xdeep. I would recommend Draker but oh well.
    I can feel the love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee View Post
    Move them closer to your waist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best answer so far

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

In all seriousness in regards to sidemount the American instructors and the students they turn out generally have a very bad reputation in Mexico. Sure they will take the gringo's money but they laugh at most US trained sidemount divers. There is generally a huge difference in the skillset between the US trained divers and the Mexican trained ones that come out of the Bogaerts (Go Sidemount / Razor) camp and the Protec (Xdeep) camp. Honestly if I had a kid and they wanted to get into cave diving I would send them to Mexico and I would feel confident that either the Bogaerts, HP, Natalie Gibbs or the Protec guys would give them excellent training. I honestly would only recommend less than 4 sidemount instructors in Florida. There are lots of great ones in Mexico but sadly the same can't be said for the US. This can be translated to the gear choices that many US divers take to Mexico.

When I started out cave diving, I took my Halcyon Contour to MX, and was struggling a lot with getting the Al80s to behave. Then I tried a Razor, and was a convert within less than an hour. I still use the Halcyon at home in the Great Lakes with heavy steel tanks.

Echoing some of the other thoughts here: Yeah, you need a different harness for 80s.

Came down here with an SMS50 a few years ago. It was awful. Went home and got a harness designed for this style of diving and love it.

Sorry, but it's true. You can kinda make it work, but chances are near-certain you won't like it.

As to the Florida/Mexico training disconnect:
    There are some awful instructors in Florida. And some of the best in the world down here.
    There are also some of the best instructors in the world in Florida. And some awful ones down here.