Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Candy Cane Striped Line Arrows

I have seen what appear to be hand-made line arrows made of a red and white striped plastic in several systems since my certification ( I will have to start taking better notes as to which systems).

I was just wondering if anyone might know the history of these line markers.

Dominick

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

Berman arrows? Wait...those are red white and blue...right?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhippi View Post
    I have seen what appear to be hand-made line arrows made of a red and white striped plastic in several systems since my certification ( I will have to start taking better notes as to which systems).

I was just wondering if anyone might know the history of these line markers.

Dominick
    The pity is if line arrows are carry some significance other than pointing the closest way out, they will disappear as souvenirs. Many line arrows that have had historical significance ,such as the owner, or part of the original exploration, they are gone. There a few systems that have some cool line arrows that mean something,but they are inaccessible parts of caves, or people don't know that name, they haven't disappeared.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by TotDoc View Post
    Berman arrows? Wait...those are red white and blue...right?
    The red, white, blue were John Reeki.

Ken Sallot

I just write "Trey" on mine and put them really close to other arrows.

"I looked up my family tree and found out I was the sap"
    "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet."
    "Yeah, I know I'm ugly... I said to a bartender, 'Make me a zombie.' He said 'God beat me to it."
    "I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out."
    "I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand."

Rodney Dangerfield 10-5-2004

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    The red, white, blue were John Reeki.
    Another name from the past. One of the good guys. As Kelly mentioned, a lot of today's divers may not be familiar with some of the names they might see on a line arrow. All the more reason to leave those markers where you find them. A while back, I came across a marker with Carl Sutton's name on it. How many folks out there remember him? On this forum, only a hand full at best!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Another name from the past. One of the good guys. As Kelly mentioned, a lot of today's divers may not be familiar with some of the names they might see on a line arrow. All the more reason to leave those markers where you find them. A while back, I came across a marker with Carl Sutton's name on it. How many folks out there remember him? On this forum, only a hand full at best!
    I know where there is a John Burge and John Cray marker. I think pretty much all the Berman markers disappeared after he died.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

I saw a Steve arrow not too long ago. I have a set of doubles that belonged to Carl Sutton and of course knew him when he owned Water World.

Ken Sallot

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    I saw a Steve arrow not too long ago. I have a set of doubles that belonged to Carl Sutton and of course knew him when he owned Water World.
    I had no idea you were that old!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    I had no idea you were that old!!
    I hide it behind my immaturity.

Ken Sallot