Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Morrison Springs Afternoon of Sunday Sept 9th

I am a newly intro certified diver. I'm headed down to Gulf Shores to dive with our local dive club Sept. 8-9. We have an early boat on Sunday and plan to dive Morrison that afternoon. The only problem is I am the only cave diver in the group. Anybody available? Thanks!

Ever been to Morrison? Yes technically it is overhead but the ow divers are all over it almost all the time.

No, this would be my first visit. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchHarrington View Post
    No, this would be my first visit. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
    There is no cave there to speak of unless you are in no mount and need a wheelbarrow to carry your balls. The entrance to the cave was destroyed by the local sheriff years ago. There is a chapter about this in Sheck's book. It is mainly an ow training site with a large cavern that would be virtually impossible to silt out that goes down to about 100' deep. There is an upper cavern that could be silted out but I don't know of any ow deaths In it. If you are looking for a cave dive you will be disappointed. There are some nice caves close by but you need a boat for them. If you have one sidemount works best for Bone and Judges. Ebro is bm and scooterable but best during a flood or severe drought.

Hey, personally I think the Cavern at Morrison is incredible. It is also deep enough that 1/3 on a single cylinder just was not enough time to look around enough. I just mentioned to someone the other day how I'd really like to go back with a set of doubles and spend some time in there looking around. I would be interested in joining you for a dive. The park had a website where the water conditions could be checked online: https://www.co.walton.fl.us/523/Morrison-Springs. I don't see the visibility info on that page now (it has changed). The vis is very dependent on rainfall from what i have been told so it is probably worth calling ahead to check on the visibility. Cave Adventurers should have an idea of current conditions.

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

It has more to do with the river levels. It appears that they are down. I would guess it is ok. As a backup plan there is Vortex, JB and Cypress if you want to rent a canoe. Devil's Hole is also an option for a small number of people.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydr...rce=hydrograph

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    It has more to do with the river levels. It appears that they are down. I would guess it is ok. As a backup plan there is Vortex, JB and Cypress if you want to rent a canoe. Devil's Hole is also an option for a small number of people.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydr...rce=hydrograph
    Is there a level where vis typically changes from good to bad?

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

It depends on the flow but I think I have heard people say about 9'. I have never really tried to correlate it as there are much better sites for cave diving between there and my house. Ebro is downstream from there and as the river gets higher it gets better.

Sounds great Silverhippi! Sent you a PM.

Hello All, if anyone want to do some intro dives at Ginnie and other central locations , let me know! Divertissimo Out!