Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Little rive Condition ?

Anyone been to Little River lately ? Condition report ?

Never be afraid to laugh at yourself; after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.

It?s beautiful. Go now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Awesome, will do. Is the water up and how is the flow ?

Never be afraid to laugh at yourself; after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.

Dove it midweek last week and it was great. Walking down the stairs, they turn left, and the water was up to about the 3rd step after that turn, so pretty high. Basically zero vis until just outside of the cavern mouth (there is no actual 'cavern zone' now, because no light is getting through the tannic water). Flow way down, although still positive and noticeable through the throat. Crystal clear water until the Florida room, then maybe just a hint of milk beyond, but as close to Ginnie clear as I've seen it. Things have probably changed in the week+ since then, but it was spectacular diving last week (crowds down too).

"It was more than breathtaking, it was like having stumbled upon some alien cathedral on some other planet, which some otherworld race with their incomprehensible architecture and alien sculpture had ages past built, decorated, and dedicated to their unknowable God."
    James Jones. His Capitol M Manhood. In Down Time: Great Writers on Diving, 2nd ed.

I sure wish someone would post pics so we could see exactly what the conditions are. Would avoid all surprises...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dove Sunday 8/26/2018. 70' viz; nice. Top of Basin is Tannic, but not too much particulate (15-20'). Clear around entrance. Basin is up to bottom first landing on staircase. (4th step) From surface, looking down you can still see the entrance; very slight boil (hardly noticeable) on the surface. Bottom of Chimney is 103'. Deepest depth: back of Fla room is 110'. AVERAGE bottom depth throughout the dive was 100' There is some current. Much less than usual; but nevertheless, you will still have to work a little to get back to the Fla room. I would say: 25% of the current. Good conditions throughout. 9:20 at bottom of Chimney. 31:50 at back of Fla room. 45:10 return at chimney. 53 min dive time at start of deco (Cavern). Deco on 80% was 1 minute at 30', 3 minutes at 20', and 8 minutes at 10'; Gradient factor 30/70. Total dive time: 70:01. Temp was 75F at surface, 71F at deco, and 70F at bottom. It was nice to be able to get to the back of the Fla room on LP85s @ 3800 and still be 300 lbs above thirds, even with the extra 5 feet high water.

Last edited by JaDarr; 08-28-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added overall viz, gradient factor/times.

I've dove LR twice this past week going to the Harper Tunnel both times. Always one of my favorites and very limited non-divers there now still due to the river water, which is about a third of the way up the stairs.

Administrator Forum Admin

I was there Saturday 9-22. The water was barely over the sidewalk, and slippery. The flow was kicking. Viz probably abut 40-50'

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I was there Tuesday, 09.25. The State was there cleaning the algae laden steps and sidewalks with a pressure washer. Hopefully the slippery-ness will be less. The water is now 2-3 inches below the sidewalk. Visibility is the system is easily 80'. The flow is most certainly kicking as Forrest mentioned.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by JJKJR View Post
    I was there Tuesday, 09.25. The State was there cleaning the algae laden steps and sidewalks with a pressure washer. Hopefully the slippery-ness will be less. The water is now 2-3 inches below the sidewalk. Visibility is the system is easily 80'. The flow is most certainly kicking as Forrest mentioned.
    Good to hear it is improving. The flow will get better when the river level stops dropping.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers