Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default 108s for sidemount

Considering breaking up my 108s for sidemounting and am curious as to how they perform. I'm 6'2 so I don't think length would be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator Forum Admin

They handle fairly well. I am small, so they were a little long and heavy for me. Very similar to PST 104s, which I sidemounted for many years.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I have some but honestly I like lp 120's better. More gas and I really can't tell the difference between them and the 108's as far as weight in the water, etc. I am guessing Faber's and not galvanized tanks? I wouldn't use galvanized tanks for anything but high helium mixes.

I'm 5'7" and they do fine trim-wise. No problem handling them, at least in the water.

Used my 108s for SM for years. Also 6'2.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." --JFK

I am 6' 1" and use 108s with no problem. If your rig is balanced well you can dive with al80s to 120s and anything in between. Most sidemount instruction is given in 85s because they trim well out of the box, but too bad nobody takes the time to help trim out the rigs on larger sized tanks.

Last edited by Kelly Jessop; 08-15-2018 at 04:02 PM.
    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

I use some LP108s for sidemount rebreather bailout with a lot of helium. I just switched over to them, but I like them so far.

they are galvanized unfortunately but i will be selling them and investing in fibers

When I started SM I broke up my Worthy 108s. No question they were heavy and needed a little extra lift, but they trimmed out very nicely. I am 5' 10" 215 lbs and never had an issue with them being too long.

I still use them for dives like the Sweet Surprise /Mainland circuit. I find it to be easier than bringing a stage through the circuit.

Otherwise I'll use SM 85's with stage bottle(s) as appropriate..

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...

Quote Originally Posted by kylejones982 View Post
    they are galvanized unfortunately but i will be selling them and investing in fibers
    Assuming you dive dry it's not a bad tank. On OC with a drysuit, I prefer the galvanized tanks over the Fabers. My first SM tanks were galvanized 108s and I dove those exclusively for probably my first 300 SM dives.