Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Seaskin Tri-lam vs Neoprene

Has anyone tried both the tri-lam and neoprene Seaskin suits? I?ve always heard good things about their neoprene suits but haven?t heard any reviews about their tri-lam.

Derek

I have the neoprene Seaskin. If you decide to go that route let me know as I have a few suggestions on what to order.

Back in March at JB I was talking to LMN who happened to be wearing a Seaskin Tri-lam. After returning home I went ahead and ordered one. I only have 4 dives on mine. So not a lot of time to make a informed judgment, but one thing I wish it did have is D-rings in the pockets. Other then that I like the suit so far.
    Al

Administrator Forum Admin

I have a tri-lam Seaskin, and really like it. I ordered it with the "heavy undergarmet" option, and that was a mistake. It is too loose even with the heaviest cold water undergarmet I have.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I have the Seaskin tri-lam. Other than a couple of accessories I mis ordered by not checking the correct box, it has been great. I ordered the heavy duty neck seal, and is tight and does not stretch well. I have a pocket on the left side, and right front, as the result of not checking the box correctly, looks weird.

"I looked up my family tree and found out I was the sap"
    "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet."
    "Yeah, I know I'm ugly... I said to a bartender, 'Make me a zombie.' He said 'God beat me to it."
    "I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out."
    "I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand."

Rodney Dangerfield 10-5-2004

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

This is what I got from Seaskin when asking about heavy undergarment “DO NOT go for Allowance for extra thick undersuits. It will make the suit too big for Florida cave diving.”
    So that’s what I did. Back home I dive it with Fourth Element Arctic and heated vest, fits fine.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I have a tri-lam Seaskin, and really like it. I ordered it with the "heavy undergarmet" option, and that was a mistake. It is too loose even with the heaviest cold water undergarmet I have.

I ordered the neoprene suit and didn't order extra room for heavy undergarments. It is still big especially in the lower legs. I also ordered the heavy duty zipper and it is at least twice as big as a normal drysuit zipper and it is really stiff. I can't zip the suit by myself. I also ordered the heavy duty latex seals and they are fine to me. I recommend the extended zipper flap on the neoprene suit too.

I have a seaskin neoprene suit, I ordered it with heavy duty zipper, heavy latex neck and wrist seals, the zipper protective flap and suspenders. I also had the heavy kneepads put on it, and it has boots on it. I put the pocket and pee valve on it myself. I measured myself with a metal tape measure at work during lunch, had a co-worker help with the wrist to wrist measurement, it fits well. I am using a fourth element lighter undergarment, it has been nice and warm the couple times I've used it. The upgraded zipper is impressively sturdy.

"does your wife know you dive like that?" - quote from Jeff Hancock on seeing me gearing up to dive back mount.

I had my trilam for one year, 70 dives, is my main suit and I really like it for the kind of dives I do (mostly tourist dives with the occasional tight rocky restrictions). And that despite a 40 lbs weight loss that made the suit kinda baggy (no issues once the BC is on, and I use gaiters). I got the plastic zipper with protective flap, large zippered pockets, kevlar knee pads, neoprene socks and silicone seals. So far no problems. I love the plastic zipper, super easy to use, minimal maintenance needed. Dries off fast (in between dives). Easy to turn inside out. Super light. Some of the creases have discolored from use but the material looks very good. My guess is that once it starts fraying (which will likely take a while) one could easily reinforce the frayed areas or add a swipe of aquaseal before it would start to leak.

I can only comment on the neoprene, but it's been my favorite suit so far, previously owning a DUI TLS 350 and Santi E-Lite. It's streamlined, the custom fit is excellent, just choose carefully with the additional options. I definitely would have added a neckseal protector and I didn't like the rockboot style boots or the p-valve it came with. For $1000 I am extremely happy with it.