Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default New guy question about Little River

So, I started wondering about this yesterday while in Little River. If the system reverses and starts siphoning river water into the system, the the particulates from the tannic water stain the walls again and fill in many of the areas where the walls have claw prints all over them?

Thanks,

Dominick

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhippi View Post
    So, I started wondering about this yesterday while in Little River. If the system reverses and starts siphoning river water into the system, the the particulates from the tannic water stain the walls again and fill in many of the areas where the walls have claw prints all over them?

Thanks,

Dominick

Many of the systems get cleaned up after a reversal is the quick answer. Not always, but not uncommonly. Some of the prettiest I've seen Peacock (less hand and finger prints and scars in the clay/silt) was after some seriously flooding shut down the system for a while.

I think those "claw marks" are worst near the first gold line T. You can see a bunch of them in this picture from Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhippi View Post

Thanks,

Dominick
    At one time we depended on reversals to fix cave damage. Unfortunately the damage is too pronounced for significant change, relative to the amount of traffic. At popular systems we depended on organic material to be carried in to fill in gouges and hand prints,but you'd need protracted flooding and the system to be closed to cave diving for a time period before you'd see noticeable healing. Places like Ginnie and Jug are highly unlikely to repair themselves due to rare reversal events.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

I remember a story Michael OLeary told me about doing his primary tie off to the bumper of his car at Little River. Of course this was well before the steps were put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DogDiver View Post
    I remember a story Michael OLeary told me about doing his primary tie off to the bumper of his car at Little River. Of course this was well before the steps were put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Used to be an erosion trench from the overlook of the spring in the parking lot. When it rained hard, it was like a drain pipe of chocolate milk colored water that would spew out and into the basin, making the basin look dark brown. There were some rudimentary steps,but they sway side to side, so with full gear on you would take your chances on the steps or the erosional trench. Most people complained about the work that was done at LR to make it look like it does now,but it saved the place from the amount of erosion that was occurring.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick