Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Ginnie 8/3 & 8/4

Ok, so it was pretty crowded... and the water is rising.

But the diving was pretty darn good once in the cave. Never came across another diver. Dove Sweet Surprise on Friday night. Water was a bit hazy at first , but kept getting clearer and was awesome by the time I entered SS. I tied off the taxi and thoroughly enjoyed a nice leisurely swim checking out some of the passage on the right hand side as you enter SS. The swim was slow and unhurried. Putting my recently upgraded light to good use leaving very few nooks and crannies with at least some momentary illumination. The dive was perfect except for one thing.

It was really hot and humid. Apparently, that can cause sweat, which in turn can cause certain adhesives to release. Which in turn can lead to a plumbing failure ... and finally lead to a really cold deco. Still an awesome dive even with the extra cleanup required.

Returning Saturday night, I entered the park an hour after sunset in an attempt to escape some of the heat & humidity. Not! However, I did alter my prep to maximize my chances of successful adhesion. Enjoyed the benefits of the extra efforts.

The river had risen another 12-18 inches in 24 hours. Campers were running around like ants looking for high ground. There were even tents in the pasture by the Ginnie gate

For my efforts, I was rewarded with another great dive and a reminder of how diverse Ginnie is. Only been diving there ten years, yet was rewarded once again with an new to me unmarked jump a ways past stage bottle rock. Using my recently upgraded light, I was able to see hints that called me away from the main line . Once again, eagerly I secured my taxi and stage bottle, tied in and set off to see new to me cave. It was pretty clear this area is not often traveled. After a few low dusty bits, the line took a hard turn straight up. So if you've been here, you should know where I am taking about. Using the mantra "slow is pro" I followed the passage and had a blast.

Already looking forward to my next trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by diveconjeff; 08-05-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...

BTW, there was virtually no vis in the run due to high water, very milky. There was virtually no traffic tubers or otherwise in the run.

There was a clear hole over the eye though.

There was more than 10 feet of water over the Eye.

Yes, I did run a line ...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.

Looking at the NOAA river levels, Ginnie is probably going to get some additional flooding. The Sante Fe is in Flood stage from Worthington Springs down to High Springs and is not due to crest until a few days from now.

I am trying to dive Ginnie Thursday. Will the flooding affect diving or prevent getting a vehicle close enough to the dive site ?

Never be afraid to laugh at yourself; after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Looking at the NOAA river levels, Ginnie is probably going to get some additional flooding. The Sante Fe is in Flood stage from Worthington Springs down to High Springs and is not due to crest until a few days from now.
    My best guess was Tuesday or Wednesday

-Ferris Bueller

Quote Originally Posted by jtgator View Post
    I am trying to dive Ginnie Thursday. Will the flooding affect diving or prevent getting a vehicle close enough to the dive site ?
    If the flooding prevents you from getting to the dive site, then I would hazard a guess Ginnie would close as there would not be enough dry land to make camping viable either. Keep an eye on the Ginnie FB page.

Last edited by diveconjeff; 08-06-2018 at 08:53 AM.
    -Ferris Bueller

Took an OW buddy of mine to dive the ballroom on Saturday last weekend. Getting geared up with LP80s in 10 feet of water was... interesting. I finally decided it was easier to just do it on the bottom LOL

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage." - Mark Twain

Ginnie's had some huge floods in the past, when the bathhouse by LD was half full of water etc. Just bring a jon boat, canoe in...

Safe diving,

Rich

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves