Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

tbone, are you describing boosters in your plant that boost oxygen or some other gas? That is a very important distinction that should be made. You also describe filtration, oil removal and drying equipment that usually costs 1 to 1-1/2 times the cost of a well made industrial quality air compressor and not practical for the home user in any case. Oil less compressors such as Kobalt and Sears Craftsman produce just as much water as any other compressor which will also carry another harmful contaminant into the insides of a Haskell. That contaminant is the dust from the carbon seals and vanes used in these types of compressors. Carbon dust easily ignites from impingement, much more easily than stray metals in the gas stream.

Quote Originally Posted by fno View Post
    tbone, are you describing boosters in your plant that boost oxygen or some other gas? That is a very important distinction that should be made. You also describe filtration, oil removal and drying equipment that usually costs 1 to 1-1/2 times the cost of a well made industrial quality air compressor and not practical for the home user in any case. Oil less compressors such as Kobalt and Sears Craftsman produce just as much water as any other compressor which will also carry another harmful contaminant into the insides of a Haskell. That contaminant is the dust from the carbon seals and vanes used in these types of compressors. Carbon dust easily ignites from impingement, much more easily than stray metals in the gas stream.
    Other gases, but the point still stands, they are designed to be run from shop compressors with adequate filtration. A scuba compressor is an oiled piston compressor, an oiled shop compressor is essentially just the first stage of ours. The key is to have adequate water and particulate removal. 2-stage coalescing filters run about $200. 10um first stage for most stuff, <1um for the second stage to get the rest of it.
    The compressor that I was referring to is not a vane compressor, it's a wobble piston compressor. Very very different animal from the happy homeowner type oilless compressors and relatively new to the market in the last couple of years
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUIE...sor/1000405189

Great minds think alike and I'm using the compressor Tom referenced to run my AG-30. It's near perfect for O2 boosting with the AG-30 as it will only keep up at about one cycle every 8 seconds, which produces a nice rate of fill in 2L O2 bottles, keeping the lines on the upstream side no more than warm to the touch. And it still isn't painfully slow topping off AL 80s, at least with reasonably high supply pressures.

I'm currently running the drive gas from the compressor through a very quick and easy to make condenser consisting of 50' of thin walled PVC hose submerged in a 5 gallon bucket of cold water, before running it through a moisture separator, a filter and a second filter and desiccant. Once we are back from HI, I plan to upgrade the bucket with 50 ft of copper tubing (better heat transfer) and inlet and outlet valves to circulate fresh cool water into the system to keep the water cool to improve the condensation of the air passing through it.

It came from a shop that ran it off a large shop compressor and that was obvious in the drive section when I rebuilt it before putting it into O2 service.

----

In an ideal world we'd all have a large scuba compressor in an air conditioned garage and a half dozen or so bank tanks. Reality is a bit different however for the average rebreather diver.

I have a 3.5 CFM Stewart Warner compressor and while it is rated for continuous duty, filling bank tanks would be a long and boring process. I'm much more inclined to use it just to fill tanks and partial pressure blend using my Haskel, He and O2 bottles. It doesn't make economic sense to spend $6K-$7K to get a larger compressor, so running my Haskel off a shop compressor is the most reasonable option. If it means rebuilding the drive section every few years, I can live with that, particularly as the O-rings in the drive and spool sections are standard sizes.

NACD Cave DPV Cert # 666: Cave DPV Anti-christ