Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default JB Scooter dives/map

My wife and I never dive JB or the Mill Pond because we're 2 hours from High Springs and adding 3 hours to the drive doesn't sound fun. We've been some, but we were either taking a class, not full cave yet, or the flow was so high we barely got past the 1st tee.

We're going to go do some scooter dives for 2 days next week. We've scootered the first little bit of JB for our scooter class, but don't remember much of those dives other than the drills.

So, can you suggest any specific scooter dives we should do (ie, right at a particular t etc.). We will only be carrying a single stage, dive very conservatively on gas, and will not be going full bore into the cave from the start but will focus on progressive penetration. We also could care less about diving sm passages. Big ole mainline riding the scooter like a cadillac is just fine. These are going to be my wife's first dives back after an ACL injury.

Also, which map is the preferred JB map. Last couple times up there we were told the one on the back of the shirt is the most accurate one.

Thanks for the info. I know we could as at Edd's or Rob's, but we try to get to the water early and not dilly at the shops too much.

Most worthy spots by scooter are double stage dives.

I love avalanche alley area. When I was last in town, the cobalticity level was off the charts. Swimming up crinoid glory from there is nice.

Going to the stratosphere is also awesome. Huge room that goes up to 20'

If doing sidemount, go find sweet passage.

Obviously, if u haven't done Kings canyon, it's awesome spot, 3-4 levels of cool canyon

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Special Member

Right at first T, Right at second T, Left at Third T through the rabbit hole to the fourth T (Stop Light). Left at fourth into and through the trash room. Look for rocky area on left after the 90 degree left turn, drop stages and swim just a bit for the jump into the middle ground and avalanche alley, have some clothespins/ line markers. If you don't drop stages just continue into the cave on the gold line and turn when you reach your max penetration point. On return, Right at the fourth, right at the third, left at the second and left at the first and back through the second and first breakdown rooms and up the chimney to exit. Great fun...missing it just writing this. Bill

"With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

"Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

http://www.cavediver.net/forum/attac...9&d=1330611651

If this link works it has a map I have added many of the lined passages in JB to. It is most likely not very accurate but it will give you an idea where certain jumps are in relation other known spots.
    Hope you have some great dives at JB.

Mark Sumner

Honestly HITW is much better to me. Consolation Corridor is beautiful and not nearly as beat up as JB. There is some cool stuff in JB but in the single stage range I really don't think there is much.

My suggestion is not to have any particular goal in mind. Wingman has given good directions, go slow, there is a lot of things to see in the first 2000 feet. Lots of side jumps, some good, some not, Kings canyon is a nice section to drop scooters and swim. If you use the C&L bypass, watch the ceiling, there are a few low rocks that you can knock your noggin on. Scooter in and drift out with the flow.

"I looked up my family tree and found out I was the sap"
    "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet."
    "Yeah, I know I'm ugly... I said to a bartender, 'Make me a zombie.' He said 'God beat me to it."
    "I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out."
    "I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand."

Rodney Dangerfield 10-5-2004

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

It isn't a scooter dive but Bozel is one of my all time favorite caves. You can rent a canoe at the State Park and it is a 45 minute paddle or contact Rob and rent a boat. I have yet to take anyone to Bozel who hasn't really liked it. The river is fairly low and a Facebook video from last weekend looked really good.

Thanks for all of the info. We definitely aren't going in with a goal in mind, but were mostly looking for "left at the 2nd t is better than right" kind of stuff. We talked about diving elsewhere besides JB, but we've been in JB the least of the Mill Pond caves. We may do HITW on the second morning since we've only swam it, but I was trying to avoid the headaches of getting a boat. Bozell is on my bucket list, but we're trying to swim as little as possible at the start of the trip to see how my wife's knee handles it. We've got a week of diving. We almost always are stuck diving weekends, so we want to relish in the weekday quiet without her having to sit out because she pushed her knee too hard at the start of the trip