Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: back mount trim

Default back mount trim

So while anyone you will talk to who dives with me my trim and buoyancy are immaculate but since switching from 95's to 108's i feel like I'm having to work to hard to keep myself from going head down and am constantly having to strain my neck up. Ive played around with my bands and i currently have them about as high up on my 108s as i can go and still reach my valves.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated

What type of fins are you using?

When I was diving bm (many years ago now) I only used Jets. My Cave buddy often switches between BM & SM and now uses specific fins for each. He recently remarked that using the same light fins he prefers in SM gave him busy feet in BM. He wanted to use the same fins for both but quickly decided, Jets for BM and Eddy Fins for SM. YMMV, however; different sized tanks will work differently for most people.

Last edited by Michael F; 07-26-2018 at 11:01 PM.
    The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

dive rite fins

Quote Originally Posted by kylejones982 View Post
    dive rite fins
    I'm not familiar with DR fins. How is the weight compared to Jets?

I know my buddy was happy using Eddy fins in BM with smaller tanks and didn't have grief till he changed to larger tanks.

I recall the Dive Rites being a lighter fin. Try some Jets or F1s and see if it helps any.

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

they are not as heavy as far as i know I'm curious in both the hollis bat fin and the jets

You won't see many backmounted Cave divers with ankle weights but you will see many in Jets for a good reason or reasons.

I'm certain you dive with someone that uses Jets. Ask to trade fins for dive and see what happens. Or rent or borrow a set for a day. You may be surprised...

Default 95/108

That seems a bit odd, as it should really be the opposite scenario. the 108s put more weight on your backside. I've always had my bands right on the shoulders of the tank. you'll reach the valves. D.H.

Kyle, I wear slipstreams (similar weight to the Dive Rite fins) and dive 104's a LOT. I have no issues with trim in this configuration myself but here are a few things that may be causing an issue: Position of the bands, this is likely the biggest culprit. I keep my top band pretty close to the very edge of the cylinder where it begins to round off. That keeps the manifold far enough back that I can comfortably raise my head to see forward and brings the bottom of the tanks closer to the end of my back. Brand of cylinder, worthington is quite heavy while faber in the water can be quite light in comparison and can affect how you trim out overall. Weight of first stages , it's a minor thing but some first stages are a bit heavier than others. Drysuit...I mention this because if you tend to put a lot of gas in the suit and it goes to your feet it could greatly effect your trim. Pro tip; in Ginnie, I add gas to my suit AFTER I get down the vertical decent from the eye and after I get through the ear and into a more horizontal position otherwise most of the gas is going to my feet. Sure I might get a slight squeeze for a second, but the dive goes beautifully after that. I'm not saying these are the only things...but they might be partly to blame.

Changing the wing location may help, I learned this the hard way recently when I set my wing up on one set of holes one day and a different set the next, world of difference in trim. Depends on the wing too