Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I love living in Tampa. Lots to do here and nothing is far away. Good access to the highway makes cruising up to cave country relatively painless. The airport is very accessible. I live in south Tampa, and the airport is about 10 minutes away. It's super easy to get in and out of there. There are few things in the area that take longer than 15 minutes to get to. Great beaches are closer to 30-40 minutes away, though. There is water access in Tampa, too, but the bay beaches are nothing like the real thing on the gulf coast.

I picked Orlando over Tampa, to move to, 30 years ago. It has changed a lot.. very busy now, but I still say its the center of the universe. I am staying.

Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Dayo Scuba Center LLC
    Orlando, Florida

Just move to cave country. You are within 2 hours of either JAX, MCO, or TPA. Take your pick of the cheapest flight from any one of them. Orlando is a nightmare and I would not recommend living there or any of the many surrounding suburbs (Windermere, Apopka, Winter Park, Altamonte Springs, etc.) as they are all just as bad. Tampa is a cool city if you have to live in a big city. Don't worry, during rush hour that hour radius that you want as a buffer will only be a few miles. I grew up in Jax beach. It's gotten very developed over the last decade or so. There are very nice areas like riverside or any of the beaches and there are some super sketchy areas (Jacksonville has a very high murder rate for it's size). I live in cave country now and would not move back but my overall experience was good growing up. I also like the airport there more than MCO or TPA- its very easy to navigate and only takes a few minutes to get through. I flew out of MCO last week and it took 45 minutes to get from the plane to where I parked (no checked bags) because of how large the place is.

Quote Originally Posted by lord1234 View Post
    My wife and I are heavily considering a move to FL in the near future. We're pretty heavily leaning towards Orlando or Tampa. I'm a regular business traveller and would love an easy access business airport. I've heard that business travellers drive from MCO to TPA but am unsure of the veracity of that statement. We'd also like to be able to have non diving fun(like cycling, general outdoors events, etc). Tampa has a downside as someone who I'd like to avoid living within an hour of lives just north of Tampa. Orlando has no such negative.

So tell me, local floridians, which would you pick?
    Tampa has the second highest rate of insurance fraud in the nation. Miami is no. 1

I travel extensively for work and live in High Springs. I love-really enjoy- living here. I fly out of GNV when I can but my wife often goes on my biz trips. So, I'm one of those people who regularly makes trips to MCO, TPA, or DAB. JAX is a fantastic airport but the $ are almost always the same as GNV. That matters to me when the wife goes. TPA is much nicer than MCO. AA finally opened a lounge in MCO which helped but not by much. I recently got wifey signed up for Global Entry so she gets TSA pre-check when on separate itinerary which helps at MCO. If you don't have PC or GE, MCO is almost always awful. If you don't mind the drive and RJ'S, DAB is a delight and more or less the same distance as MCO and slightly closer than TPA. TLH is always expensive and same as MCO.

when I made the decision to live in High Springs, the peace and beauty of this area combined with proximity tobcaves easily won. Now I'm hauling more often 2-2.5 hours to airports, I bought a home here. I won't give this up for the traffic, etc, plus I have aspirations of returning to cave diving. And soon.

So yes, there are those of us that do it. I know two others but I'll let them speak up should they choose to (both in HS).
    Make no mistake about it, he drive is taxing, especially combined with biz travel but it's the choice I made.

----
    Cave Mann

I'm another one who travels a lot and chose to live in High Springs. I fly out of gville sometimes, but also opt for JAX, MCO and even TPA sometimes. It just depends on where I am going and timing.

The last three places I have lived are: Orlando(Winter Garden), Chicago(st Charles), and NY(Wappingers Falls). I am no stranger to crazy traffic and NaSTY weather.

A little drive to and from JAX or MCO is well worth it to live in the relative (drama free) peace of High Springs.

...I just with I could found a property that was outside of Alachua county, so I could be paying 50% less in property taxes like some of my friends here.

After living in several places in Florida.... when I come back (unless there is a reason, like a job elsewhere) I will be looking at the Jacksonville area.... both for the plentiful IT jobs and the availability of direct flights from the Jacksonville airport.

Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker

Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post

...I just with I could found a property that was outside of Alachua county, so I could be paying 50% less in property taxes like some of my friends here.

That was another thing I learned... DO NOT RENT OR BUY in Alachua county..... the short commute from ANY direction will pay for itself in property taxes and utility bills.

Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker

Yea we're pretty stuck on the Orlando or Tampa thing. You guys are doing a great job of selling Orlando. While I'd love to live in High Springs, we've done the "country living" thing, and found it wasn't for us. We want to be closer to a city, and even the outskirts of Orlando and Tampa(or the towns surrounding them) seem great with good schools(especially in Orlando). I guess I've been spoiled in that I have a 15 min drive to the airport each way currently. I am flying 2-3x a week, so the less I have to drive back and forth to the airport, the better. And yes, the AA lounge at MCO is my jam, since I am an exclusively American Airlines flyer.

Quote Originally Posted by lord1234 View Post
    Yea we're pretty stuck on the Orlando or Tampa thing. You guys are doing a great job of selling Orlando. While I'd love to live in High Springs, we've done the "country living" thing, and found it wasn't for us. We want to be closer to a city, and even the outskirts of Orlando and Tampa(or the towns surrounding them) seem great with good schools(especially in Orlando). I guess I've been spoiled in that I have a 15 min drive to the airport each way currently. I am flying 2-3x a week, so the less I have to drive back and forth to the airport, the better. And yes, the AA lounge at MCO is my jam, since I am an exclusively American Airlines flyer.

If you want a decent quality of life with tons of things to do culturally and socially then Tampa/St Pete is your jam. If you want horrible traffic, 30-45 minutes to get anywhere and to live in a place without a cultural feel of it's own then Orlando is your jam. The only good thing about Orlando is MCO. We fly out of MCO all the time living in St Pete. It's a very easy 90 minute drive. I'd never give up all of the great stuff we have in Tampa/St Pete to live in a place like Orlando just because of MCO. The bigger question you need to look at is if the places you regularly fly to have direct or regular flights from TPA. If not then you'll be driving to MCO several times a week. Then the question is less of a drive or a better place to live.