Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Burst disks

You can get bolts at any ace hardware dude.

Quote Originally Posted by cmint View Post
    You can get bolts at any ace hardware dude.
    LOL, those are kinda obvious, having been a tank monkey for many years I wouldn't even think about filling your ALs if they have an LP plug in 'em, ooops…

A lot of cave/tech shops used to sell shims, I know I did at CEE.

Showing my age I know, but I remember having an argument with a guy on TDS 'cause he said he plugs all his tanks, I replied just steels right and he replied no ALs too! Lo and behold some time goes by and a guy pulls in at East, I had all his tanks hooked up and I ask his name to put him in the computer and he tells me, I go out and unhook his stages and say "I can't fill 'em 'cause they're plugged". He goes "How do you know that?" and I say "My name's Rich and I'm the one you were arguing with on TDS". Needless to say he goes ballistic and says, "Well, I'm just going down to Ginnie to get air!" and storms out. So I make a quick phone call to Rose...

Safe diving,

Rich

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

Quote Originally Posted by kvdivr View Post
    Bottom line is that in the US it is a federal offense to use a disc higher than the cyls hydrotest pressure.
    Hmmm... think there will be a lot of divers wearing orange dry suits

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

steels: plug them... one less thing to worry about. AL's... follow the rules, one less thing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Is this you starting stuff like you said on FB, Tim?
    I would NEVER just start stuff..... what are you talking about??

Seriously.... no, just got a set of used valves and was curious what everyone does because they are going on my LP85's and the burst discs are of unknown origin.

Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker

Talk to Wayne at Amigos. He has nearly every size burst disc available, and any other component of a valve you could ever want. I think he might have a valve fetish based on how excited he gets anytime I bring one by for a rebuild or "burst disc upgrade".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    LOL, those are kinda obvious, having been a tank monkey for many years I wouldn't even think about filling your ALs if they have an LP plug in 'em, ooops?

A lot of cave/tech shops used to sell shims, I know I did at CEE.

Showing my age I know, but I remember having an argument with a guy on TDS 'cause he said he plugs all his tanks, I replied just steels right and he replied no ALs too! Lo and behold some time goes by and a guy pulls in at East, I had all his tanks hooked up and I ask his name to put him in the computer and he tells me, I go out and unhook his stages and say "I can't fill 'em 'cause they're plugged". He goes "How do you know that?" and I say "My name's Rich and I'm the one you were arguing with on TDS". Needless to say he goes ballistic and says, "Well, I'm just going down to Ginnie to get air!" and storms out. So I make a quick phone call to Rose...

Safe diving,

Rich

So what does the story tell us?
    If you do sh#t don't talk about sh#t ?

Pretty universal

The other part: Whats the obsession with "not plugging" Als?
    You are aware that in Europe we also do not use burst disks on Al tanks..
    No difference is made..

The way more "critical" part would be overfilling Als in general..
    Overfilling Als is a no go.. and if one is staying within rated pressure even less to worry about burst disks..

Ok add this to the mix. I had a disk blow the other day when filling an AL40 with 100% O2, turns out the gauge on the booster was under-reading and I now estimate it had something well over 4000 psi when it blew. In reviewing this "incident" I've considered putting lower pressure burst disks in my 40's as they are usually full of very rich mixtures and the thoughts of pumping these to anything above "normal" scares me to death. Thoughts?

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by caveflyer View Post
    Ok add this to the mix. I had a disk blow the other day when filling an AL40 with 100% O2, turns out the gauge on the booster was under-reading and I now estimate it had something well over 4000 psi when it blew. In reviewing this "incident" I've considered putting lower pressure burst disks in my 40's as they are usually full of very rich mixtures and the thoughts of pumping these to anything above "normal" scares me to death. Thoughts?
    For high O2 levels, especially in AL tanks, I totally agree. For normal nitrox in steel tanks, go for a high pressure burst disc.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    For high O2 levels, especially in AL tanks, I totally agree. For normal nitrox in steel tanks, go for a high pressure burst disc.
    So I have been curious about this, how high is an AL 40 pumped when it has 100% O2 ??

Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker