Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Burst disks

Quote Originally Posted by caveflyer View Post
    Ok add this to the mix. I had a disk blow the other day when filling an AL40 with 100% O2, turns out the gauge on the booster was under-reading and I now estimate it had something well over 4000 psi when it blew. In reviewing this "incident" I've considered putting lower pressure burst disks in my 40's as they are usually full of very rich mixtures and the thoughts of pumping these to anything above "normal" scares me to death. Thoughts?
    If you are doing your own fills, just put an adjustable relief valve on the fill whip, and/or get a digital gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by twaldo View Post
    So I have been curious about this, how high is an AL 40 pumped when it has 100% O2 ??
    Some do 3000, very carefully. Many stop at 2500 or even 2000.

So I have been curious about this, how high is an AL 40 pumped when it has 100% O2 ??

I've gotten an AL40 of oxygen filled to over 4k (not at my request, believe me). It made me AWFULLY nervous.

I have been using these burst disks for 6 or 8 months now. I know they are from China but the price is right for set of 10. Quality seems to be good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Sets-MAX...ive+.TRS1.TSS0

Well obviously high pressures and 100% O2 are an extra topic.
    But also there is a big question mark if a burst disk is actually beneficial or additional hazard.
    the blow of the disk could very well be the catalyst to actually trigger an O2 explosion!

As one should never overfill ALs period even more be carefull with high pressure O2!

If I had a Al40 filled to 4000 psi I would be nervous as well.. but the presence of a burst disk in that combination would be the issue that would expotentially increase that nervousness..
    Without burst disk: The gas is already in and did not explode! so put a reg on and put it inmto the cool water.. Maybe consider persurizing after cool down only

Quote Originally Posted by scubapeter View Post
    I have been using these burst disks for 6 or 8 months now. I know they are from China but the price is right for set of 10. Quality seems to be good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Sets-MAX...ive+.TRS1.TSS0
    typically I only upgrade the disc, not the plug holding it into the valve. I'm sure there are some specifics around the burst pressure being stamped into the plug, but i've never had an issue. If you buy just the copper (or other material) discs, you'll only spend a few dollars. Again, wayne is a great resource for these components and questions about what is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius View Post

As one should never overfill ALs period !

)

If I'm only getting 2400psi fills in my 80s then I'm going to another fill station

Quote Originally Posted by caveflyer View Post
    Ok add this to the mix. I had a disk blow the other day when filling an AL40 with 100% O2, turns out the gauge on the booster was under-reading and I now estimate it had something well over 4000 psi when it blew. In reviewing this "incident" I've considered putting lower pressure burst disks in my 40's as they are usually full of very rich mixtures and the thoughts of pumping these to anything above "normal" scares me to death. Thoughts?
    I'm in agreement with Tom that an accurate gauge is important. I have a calibrated (and re-calibratable) gauge that I plug in line when boosting O2, and as a check on the other two gauges in the system. Accuracy is also important when partial pressure blending.

3000 psi is the norm and it's rare to find a shop that will fill an O2 bottle higher than 3000 psi. That turns a 15 cu ft steel 2L Faber 3442 psi tank into a 13 cu ft tank.

I personally don't have a problem with filling to 3442 psi, but I also fill my O2 tanks a lot slower than most shops. I'll run my Haskel at about 1 cycle every 8-10 seconds when boosting O2, and it's a single stage AG-30.

In contrast, I've seen shops boosting O2 with two stage AGT-7/15s pushing twice as much gas per cycle and running them with one cycle every 1-2 seconds. That's 10 to 20 times faster and generates some very high temperatures that are IMHO insane when you're dealing with O2.

NACD Cave DPV Cert # 666: Cave DPV Anti-christ

Just wanted to throw a THANK YOU out there... this has been a very informational thread.... both on burst disc's and O2 pumping.... has made me reconsider my AL 40 for O2 and now thinking an LP 50 because of the lower pressure.

Tim

Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker

Just wanted to throw a THANK YOU out there... this has been a very informational thread.... both on burst disc's and O2 pumping.... has made me reconsider my AL 40 for O2 and now thinking an LP 50 because of the lower pressure.

Tim
    Not to throw yet another wrench in your plans, but I'd recommend trying to carry an LP50 in simulated deco before committing to it over an AL40 for oxygen. I've tried LP50s and LP72s and very much not liked either. I went back to AL40s and AL80s for my oxygen needs.