Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Regulators

If i could find a set i would i love how silverhippi's breathe

Quote Originally Posted by kylejones982 View Post
    If i could find a set i would i love how silverhippi's breathe
    Hey man, I have been putting mine together piece by piece, buying them used on ebay. I am running MK20s (well one has been updated to a MK25 internally)with G250s. I also have a few MK10s that I will be putting on the stage bottles. I love them. Now that I have new info on service kits I love them even more. The MK20s had a recall and you can sort of tell if they received the update by looking at the plastic saddle on the 1st stage body. Without update it will have three vents. With update it should have two vents. There is a picture here:

https://www.scubaboard.com/community...0-yoke.533678/

From what I understand there are differences in all of the variations of the G250 ( Graphite, V, etc. I could be wrong) and I am sticking with the G250. I know there is someone way more knowledgeable that can chime in about the variations.

Dominick

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

Ebay is the way to go. I've bought 10 sets of MK10/G250s off of ebay in the past 6 months and never paid over $75 per set (except for the crystal but that's a very special reg). I send them all over to Russel to be serviced. I could service my own, but there's so many little idiosyncracies and issues that can pop up that I defer to people with many years of experience. I don't want to question if my reg will be an issue. I know my limits and also have a few friends that are self-servicers. They're always having issues since they don't have years and years of experience like a trained pro would.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    G250's are my preferred second stage, though the D400's are nice in very high flow...

Safe diving,

Rich
    I've got a couple MK20/D400's I'm looking to find a home for... shoot me a PM if interested.

The original G250 came with various add ons to the name such as "graphite" but there were no significant differences until the G250 HP came out. The G250 HP used an entirely different air barrel and balance chamber design and it was not capable of the same level of performance and was harder to service and resulted in the "G250" being discontinued. The G250V signaled a return to the basic G250 design, once Scubapro figured out that used G250s were going for almost as much money as they could sell a new G250 if they put it back in production. There are some minor differences but the old G250 guts still fit in the next G250 case and vice versa and the parts are for all intents and purposes interchangeable.

The current G260 is a G250 with a redesigned case that allows the inlet to be placed on the left or right. It took Scubapro years of their dealers asking for a sidemount friendly reg for them to finally figure out that there was enough sidemount market to justify the design change.

----

The recall on the MK 20 was in response to some techs over torqueing the inlet fitting. This resulted in Scubapro adding a collar that contacts the reg body before the fitting can bottom out. This was actually incorporated in the late production Mk 20s, so not all Mk 20's needed the upgrade.

There was a steady evolution in the Mk 20 and Mk 25, and the Mk 20 became the Mk 25 when Scubapro added an adjustable seat retainer. This allowed an air off adjustment of the intermediate pressure using an allen wrench rather than shims. Scubapro just decided with that change that they should call it a Mk 25 rather than a Mk 20. If you compared the last Mk 20 that was produced with the first Mk 25 that was produced, the seat retainer would be the ONLY difference. Scubapro actually made more significant changes in the Mk 25 EVO, and probably should have called it the Mk 30, except I suspect they wanted to capitalize on all the hype they've heaped on the Mk 25 over the years. Until the Mk 25 EVO all the changes in the Mk 25 were back ward compatible to any Mk 20. But with the Mk 25 EVO they changed the threads for the swivel cap and ended that back
    ward compatibility for no good reason.

NACD Cave DPV Cert # 666: Cave DPV Anti-christ

I have a couple Mk 15s in excellent condition that I'd sell with either D400 or X650 second stages. The D400s are in excellent condition and the X650s are near mint.

The Mk 15 differs from the Mk 20 in terms of how the internal bushings are retained, and in the seat design, but performance is identical.

----

Both work really well when scootering or in high flow as the diaphragm is protected from the flow. The D400 is a better breathing reg, but the X650 is easier to get serviced as it doesn't take any specialized knowledge to tune it properly. Good D400 techs have died off or drifted on to something else and I still get folks asking me to work in their D400s, and I still service them through the shop I currently work with.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Ebay is the way to go. I've bought 10 sets of MK10/G250s off of ebay in the past 6 months and never paid over $75 per set (except for the crystal but that's a very special reg). I send them all over to Russel to be serviced. I could service my own, but there's so many little idiosyncracies and issues that can pop up that I defer to people with many years of experience. I don't want to question if my reg will be an issue. I know my limits and also have a few friends that are self-servicers. They're always having issues since they don't have years and years of experience like a trained pro would.
    I acquired my dozen or so Mk 10 G250s the same way for stage/bailout bottle use, but service them myself. The Mk 10 G250 is a great reg for use on stage bottles or deco bottles. It's a great performer and a very durable design.

The Mk 10 plus was an update of the Mk 10 to use a rounded seating edge piston and a Mk 20/25 style concave seat. Scubapro recently made a run of one hundred Mk 10 to Mk 10 Plus upgrade kits so that's an option if you've got a Mk 10 that has damage to the piston and you can't find a replacement.

The thing that kills a Mk 10 is eventual wear in the reg body that creates excess tolerance between the piston stem and reg body, allowing the piston stem o-ring to extrude and get pinched between stem and body. That cuts little "feathers" out of the o-ring and causes it to leak. It first shows up at higher pressures above 3300 psi. That is what prompted the replaceable bushings in the Mk 15, Mk 20 and Mk 25. On a positive note, you have to use the absolute hell out of a Mk 10 to get that much wear, and then it will still work fine at 3000 psi AL 80 stage pressures.

The G250 second stages are pretty straight forward although they still show up with the old poppet and need updated with the S-wing poppet. The unbalanced and non adjustable G200 and the balanced but non adjustable G200B can also be updated to G250 standard with minimal effort, so don't pass one up if you see it. The older Balanced Adjustable can also be updated with the new poppet and it's also a superb performing regulator. The even older R109 Adjustable can be updated to Balanced Adjustable status with the current balanced poppet and spring, however some of the earliest R109s use a different lever that also needs to be replaced to work with a current S-wing poppet.

Thanks for all of the good info. That's a prime example of why I don't service my own regs. Lots on tidbits and info you need to know from years of servicing them.

I bought all of the mk10/g250s for stage regs, deco regs, and bailout regs (on lp50s at lp 85s). The bailout regs will obviously see pressures over 3000 but the first stages are near in the box new so minimal wear. I've heard of the cutting of the oring on well used mk10s. Is the only symptom bubbles or can it lead to reg failure?

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    except for the crystal but that's a very special reg
    Yeah, that clear one almost didn't make it back into the shipping box...

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.