Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Jenkins Creek Spring Information

I was checking out some sites in the Gulf Coast of Florida a bit ago and stopped at Jenkins Creek. I walked up the spring run, past the swimming area, and was really pleasantly surprised by a big, clear spring head. There was quite a boil at this site, and the visibility was good. Does anyone have any more information/ stories about the cave here or the spring itself?

"....The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose fall is marred by dust, and sweat, ....who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Dove it decades ago,late 70's, before it was a park. Milky, particulate visibility...and the rock is VERY soft and very silty....too soft to even tie in a line to it or install pitons or any means of stabilizing a line. Crumbles very easily. The passage stair stepped down to about 70', continued but very hazzardous where we called the dive. Flow was moderate. Basically almost zero viz exit.There are two entrances....same description for both.
    I remember very distinctly my buddy holding up a slate in the 3-4 ft. visibility where we turned....begging the question "Are we dumb?" I could not argue, lol!
    I believe there was a fatality some years later of an OW single tank diver, rumour was he wrote some kind of final note to his parents.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by phreaticus53 View Post
    Dove it decades ago,late 70's, before it was a park. Milky, particulate visibility...and the rock is VERY soft and very silty....too soft to even tie in a line to it or install pitons or any means of stabilizing a line. Crumbles very easily. The passage stair stepped down to about 70', continued but very hazzardous where we called the dive. Flow was moderate. Basically almost zero viz exit.There are two entrances....same description for both.
    I remember very distinctly my buddy holding up a slate in the 3-4 ft. visibility where we turned....begging the question "Are we dumb?" I could not argue, lol!
    I believe there was a fatality some years later of an OW single tank diver, rumour was he wrote some kind of final note to his parents.
    Is that the one you dove with Wes when the wall collapsed?

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Vaughan Maxwell was my dive buddy that day.....it was his query as to the intelligence of our presence there on the slate!

He wrote "Mom, I love you"