Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: BOV or no BOV

Did my first CCR course on a rental unit with a BOV. It was HEAVY. When scootering (after course of course, but still with a rental unit) it was still heavy.
    Then I bought my own CCR with a DSV, wow, that was much better. Even some others here who bought a unit (AP Inspiration) with a BOV changed them to a DSV.

On my Sidekick/Kisskat I also have a DSV (Golom Gear).

I prefer a DSV and no BOV.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Agreed. And that's why I was originally leaning to towards having it.
    I wouldn't dive my KISS without it

Decision has been made to go to a BOV. Both the unit manufacturer and my instructor are very pro BOV.
    Now the decision is shrimp or ibov. I like the idea of the ibov for my wife, to spare an adv sitting on her shoulder. She's very small and already easily cluttered.

That's another one my instructor will ultimately be the deciding factor on.

To BOV or not BOV, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the inconvenience of changing mouthpieces, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles by flipping a single lever for a sanity breath? The heart-ache and the thousand bucks or so for the BOV, must give us pause?there's the respect.

"I looked up my family tree and found out I was the sap"
    "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet."
    "Yeah, I know I'm ugly... I said to a bartender, 'Make me a zombie.' He said 'God beat me to it."
    "I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out."
    "I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand."

Rodney Dangerfield 10-5-2004

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    To BOV or not BOV, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the inconvenience of changing mouthpieces, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles by flipping a single lever for a sanity breath? The heart-ache and the thousand bucks or so for the BOV, must give us pause?there's the respect.
    Dilly dilly.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    Dilly dilly.
    Is that anything like the British expression "Brilliant"?

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Is that anything like the British expression "Brilliant"?
    https://youtu.be/XI2Ebrp6Pyg

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    ../ /...I've been told as a first time rb diver I absolutely should have one, but then I'm told any rb diver that's dove their unit for a few years never uses their bov and gets rid of them. I am seeing a bigger trend in new rb divers not having them. I see the pros and cons of both sides. There does seem to be some hose routing annoyance sometimes with them.
    I was told by several people that new rb divers should start with a back mount unit. Given that we'd been doing side mount cave diving for about 7 years at that point, going back to backmount configuration didn't make much sense. Neither did a BOV.

We ended up with KISS Sidekicks and DSVs. 2 1/2 years and about just under 300 hours later, I'm still alive.

DSV versus BOV is something that you should indeed discuss in depth with your instructor, and getting a broad range of opinions is never a bad idea. But in the end, IMHO, you need to make a decision based on your instructor, your training, your back ground and your transferrable skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwood_60 View Post
    Going emergency manual SCR is easier with a BOV.
    I dove with a CCR diver last fall who didn't have an ADV. He used the BOV to add diluent to the loop, which didn't work real well for him when scootering.

Now...from that perspective not having either a BOV or an ADV would make SCR really challenging.

Otherwise, I don't see how BOV would make SCR any easier when you have an ADV.

Quote Originally Posted by Germie View Post
    Did my first CCR course on a rental unit with a BOV. It was HEAVY. When scootering (after course of course, but still with a rental unit) it was still heavy.
    Then I bought my own CCR with a DSV, wow, that was much better. Even some others here who bought a unit (AP Inspiration) with a BOV changed them to a DSV.

On my Sidekick/Kisskat I also have a DSV (Golom Gear).

I prefer a DSV and no BOV.
    I switched to a Golem DSV with 90 degree bayonets on my Sidekick, partly because comfort with the KISS DSV requires very careful clocking of the hoses, and even then it's an issue when using a DPV. My other issue with the KISS DSV was it's sensitivity to sand and accompanying leaks from scored O-rings. The Golem DSV is cleaner, more comfortable, and clears much faster than the KISS DSV.

NACD Cave DPV Cert # 666: Cave DPV Anti-christ

I had a little extra time today at lunch and I live/work less than 10 minutes from Divesoft's US office. Somewhere Superlyte had said you can just walk in, so that's what I did. Mat from Divesoft was extremely helpful. He took me into his service area and showed me the iBOV in detail including the inner workings of the few he was servicing. He also had a GG shrimp for comparison (was from a unit being serviced, not in the shop to be used to compare). I was pretty impressed with everything he showed me and I think the quality of the iBOV is a little better than the shrimp. He also brought up 2 of the points people have complained about without me addressing them. The first is the hard turning knob. It's really not that hard(though it was on land), but with the add-on that comes stock now, it's pretty easy. The other issue is that people were complaining on rbworld about the unit leaking. During inspections they found it was that the leaks were occuring around the base of the mouthpiece from improper installation.

Mat was very helpful and inviting, and you could tell he enjoyed showing off the gear he represents. The ultimate decision on shrimp vs divesoft will be from my instructor, but it was nice to get a hands-on look with the manufacturer rep. The GG is obviously great quality as well, but the ability to drive up the road to have my bov serviced by divesoft if ever necessary is nice.