Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BOV or no BOV

Hybrid View

Default BOV or no BOV

This is probably better asked in a RB forum, but most of those guys get annoying with their back and forth, so I thought I'd get opinions here.

I'm moving to my first rb in december and have gone back and forth between choosing a bov or no bov. Obviously my instructor and I will have a long discussion on it and I will ultimately go with what he recommends, but thought I'd see what people say here. I've been told as a first time rb diver I absolutely should have one, but then I'm told any rb diver that's dove their unit for a few years never uses their bov and gets rid of them. I am seeing a bigger trend in new rb divers not having them. I see the pros and cons of both sides. There does seem to be some hose routing annoyance sometimes with them.

So....opinions.

Needing it and not having it could be exceedingly bad.

Having it and not needing it is a slight inconvenience at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    Needing it and not having it could be exceedingly bad.

Having it and not needing it is a slight inconvenience at worst.

Agreed. And that's why I was originally leaning to towards having it.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Agreed. And that's why I was originally leaning to towards having it.
    I wouldn't dive my KISS without it

Decision has been made to go to a BOV. Both the unit manufacturer and my instructor are very pro BOV.
    Now the decision is shrimp or ibov. I like the idea of the ibov for my wife, to spare an adv sitting on her shoulder. She's very small and already easily cluttered.

That's another one my instructor will ultimately be the deciding factor on.

To BOV or not BOV, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the inconvenience of changing mouthpieces, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles by flipping a single lever for a sanity breath? The heart-ache and the thousand bucks or so for the BOV, must give us pause?there's the respect.

"Most people don't know that I am an accomplished dramatic actor... But I've performed in several Shakespeare productions including Hamlet, except in this version, Hamlet lives in an apartment with two women, and has to pretend he's gay so that the landlord won't evict him."

"Once during a taping there was an actor who kept blowing his lines. It happened again and again. Finally Norman Fell came out-he wasn't even in that scene. But Norman came out and you know what he did? He killed the guy with a hammer."

"If I found a cure for a huge disease, while I was hobbling up onstage to accept the Nobel Prize they'd be playing the theme song from 'Three's Company'."

John Ritter 9-11-2003

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

I dive an SF2. It came with a DSV. Pretty quick i hated it when scootering, it was just unconfortable. I moved to a shrimp + RB80 hoses and I would never go back. The BOV does give you a chin rest that most DSV's dont (unless the Golem DSV).

Switching to OC quickly is very nice on the spot and the shrimp operates like a dream (the SF2 dsv required frequent lubing and would often need 2 hand operation.

Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post
    I dive an SF2. It came with a DSV. Pretty quick i hated it when scootering, it was just unconfortable. I moved to a shrimp + RB80 hoses and I would never go back. The BOV does give you a chin rest that most DSV's dont (unless the Golem DSV).

Switching to OC quickly is very nice on the spot and the shrimp operates like a dream (the SF2 dsv required frequent lubing and would often need 2 hand operation.

Comfort of the bov over the dsv wasn't anything I thought of. I assumed the dsv would be better since it's lighter, but didn't think of the chin rest. Didn't know the golem dsv had a chin rest either.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I'm told any rb diver that's dove their unit for a few years never uses their bov and gets rid of them.

Anyone unhappy and unloading an annoying shrimp BOV please let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Pavão View Post
    Anyone unhappy and unloading an annoying shrimp BOV please let me know
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Buya...essenger_share

hell of a deal