Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: BOV or no BOV

Quote Originally Posted by Pav√£o View Post
    That's the part I'm not understanding either, granted, I'm yet to be trained on a rebreather, but my understanding is you'd operate a lever regardless
    I had made my mind pro BOV before getting the rebreather

- DSV: Operate a lever, remove DSV out of mouth, place OC reg in mouth, breath!

- BOV: Operate a lever, breath!

What am I missing?
    What you are missing is that with a real hit you will not bother with the lever and it is way less muscle work to simply get ghe BO reg into the mouth when bungeed right than to operate such lever..
    also all Bov levers i know are harder to operate than DSV levers..
    oh and did i say if you have a hit yiu wont give a .... about closing the loop?

yes i have had a hit.. i know..
    so the real question is will you be strong enough to get to OC on a Bov.. it actually might be tougher than thought...

the only advantage of a BOV is ease of sanity breaths.. and along with that the liekelyhood to do a sanity breath more often..
    a sanity breath then again might be the thing saving you early enough before a real hit..

so to BOV or not to BOV is reaaaally a tricky one..
    currently i use one but i am still drawn back and forth..

?Question regarding Mr. Murphy and SHTF?

If the SHTF at depth, do you want to: (A) rotate a BOV 1/4 turn and bail out or (B) at depth if the SHTF, do you want to search for, grab another reg strapped & located ??? hoping it works and that the tank pressure hasn't bled off in part or whole bouncing around during the dive hoping to bail out?

Quote Originally Posted by BScot View Post
    ?Question regarding Mr. Murphy and SHTF?

If the SHTF at depth, do you want to: (A) rotate a BOV 1/4 turn and bail out or (B) at depth if the SHTF, do you want to search for, grab another reg strapped & located ??? hoping it works and that the tank pressure hasn't bled off in part or whole bouncing around during the dive hoping to bail out?
    If your tank bled off in part or whole you are ###### with the Bov also or where is it getting his gas from? The 3 L on your back ? Good luck with that one then .

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Administrator Forum Admin

My conclusion from this discussion is, there is no "right" answer. It is mostly personal preference. Either will work, it you practice enough.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    My conclusion from this discussion is, there is no "right" answer. It is mostly personal preference. Either will work, it you practice enough.
    Agreed. As planned I will take the advice of my instructor and the rebreather maker. It has been an interesting discussion though. I can definitely see how my learned reflex to switch to a necklaces reg may be stronger than switching the bov lever.

One other thing I learned is a bov can be used in lieu of an adv to be able to add loop volume. That was news to me and obviously something I'll learn in my course.

Quote Originally Posted by victorzamora View Post
    So here's a hypothetical question: If you had no muscle memory either way and had to start over, would you go BOV or DSV?
    That is a tough one having used a BOV for close to a year. With my configuration it would take a bit of thinking through hose routing and procedures. If I were starting CCR today with no muscle memory I would likely go with a BOV. I would have to have gas switching to the BOV and as Dil to match depth.

Bobby

The Light Dude
    Innovation through exploration

Local Zip Code Diver

To add to the discussion: The shrimp seems to be the current gold standard, but I've heard other than the issue with closing the lever and leaking when using it with the optional mavs, the divesoft has some pros. Anyone use both and have a preference? The adv being inside it is nice, but I don't know if that lends to more technical issues.

I'd likely go with the shrimp, but divesoft is less than a 3 minute drive from my office.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    One other thing I learned is a bov can be used in lieu of an adv to be able to add loop volume. That was news to me and obviously something I'll learn in my course.
    Yes it can be done, but it would definately be your worst option. you would use MAV over BOV to add loop Volume if issues with adv anytime... not really an alternative to adv..

From the very beginning of diving Rebreathers for me, I have had a BOV. I dive it with a Draeger Gag Strap and plug in dil/bailout. (meaning my plug in is both my deep bailout and dil for my unit) I have my unit configured in a way that when I reach shallow water, I switch to my 3 liter which always has 21% for wing and drysuit. I never dive my unit without plug in dil. I also run QC6 disconnects and can switch gasses for long DECO and stay on the BOV if I choose. (I have this setup because my dive partner dives a full face mask and our gear is matched) All of my bailout bottles have 2nd stage regs strapped to them, I do not run a necklace

I have too experienced a CO2 hit. It was in a fresh water lake at 340' at the end of a dive with a long DECO ahead of me. I was very grateful that I had a BOV on that dive, because when it was apparent to me that I was in trouble, I only had to rotate the BOV to have offboard gas to breathe.

I recently started diving the Sidewinder and it does not have the BOV. My muscle memory is to bail to a BOV and not to the OC reg and I am looking for the best option for the KISS to add the BOV.

Been ruminating on this for a while...so far no BOV...Disliked additional weight, what if water in sorb?, clear if stressed that I've bailed out to OC, I'll read with interest....