Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: BOV or no BOV

I was determined to get a BOV when I first got into rebreather diving but changed my mind after the initial course. Personally my main counter argument is that I do not want a worse work of breathing for all dives for, what is to me, the marginal benefits of a BOV in an emergency compared to what I get from a bungeed reg.

I’ve had CO2 issues once or thrice but never to the point of impairment. Quite frankly I find the idea of sudden incapacitacion implausible due to physiological reasons and each time I’ve experienced it personally or heard a report there has always been plenty of warning signs and a several minutes to react.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben M View Post
    You should still have the OC reg, BOB, or whatever. The BOV does not replace that. While few, there are still some CCR failures not solved by a BOV.

Other than convenience, one of the main reasons given for a BOV is a severe CO2 hit. I've heard stories, but not experienced one myself or discussed with someone who has had one. I have had CO2 issues but I was easily able to stay ahead of them. While I did not bailout, I was ready and able to bailout to OC if necessary. As someone mentioned above you should be diligent about monitoring your breathing rate/pattern. When you check your PPO2 also ask yourself how your breathing is. If it is not normal, what is the reason?

One of the complications of a BOV is when doing hypoxic dives. Either you plug in different gasses at different parts of the dive or you handle it by different bailout procedures. Having situational emergency procedures for immediate safe breathing gas can create a reflex issue. This exists with a DSV also, but I think the options are easier to manage.

I don't have a BOV. I dive a SM CCR and have tried the shrimp BOV. The inlet is in a bad place for me as it does not allow me to rotate my 90 degree adapters where I need them.
    It’s only an issue with hypoxic gases when extremely shallow. Even 10% is ok to breath at 20ft. Time spent shallower than 20ft is a super small portion of the dive. If you’re really concerned put an OC deco gas reg in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    It’s only an issue with hypoxic gases when extremely shallow. Even 10% is ok to breath at 20ft. Time spent shallower than 20ft is a super small portion of the dive. If you’re really concerned put an OC deco gas reg in your hand.
    Agreed, it's a non issue on descent unless you have a very shallow commute or there's a risk of delay in which case you need a contingency plan such as plugging in a breathable gas until you're deep enough. On ascent, the problem is eliminated by plugging in your 50% or O2 for the final ascent.

J. Charles Roberson
    FATHOM Dive Systems, LLC
    jcr@fathomdive.com

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwood_60 View Post
    Going emergency manual SCR is easier with a BOV.
    Quote Originally Posted by EngelenD View Post
    Why ?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    Yes, Why?

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by Pav√£o View Post
    That's the part I'm not understanding either, granted, I'm yet to be trained on a rebreather, but my understanding is you'd operate a lever regardless
    I had made my mind pro BOV before getting the rebreather

- DSV: Operate a lever, remove DSV out of mouth, place OC reg in mouth, breath!

- BOV: Operate a lever, breath!

What am I missing?
    For me it was actual application that was the issue. I would tell team mates to throw a BO signal at me at any time and as often as they wanted during the dive. Every time I would flip the lever, remove the loop, and go to my BO reg. Then remember that I had a BOV & switch back to it. When entering/exiting the water that was easy, I was thinking about it and would use the BOV. Sure I could have eventually broken the habit of going to my BO reg however it would have been a lot of practice and I wondered if it would affect my OC reactions with a real SHF moment.

I go back and forth between OC & CCR and dive OC, right now, more than CCR. I try to keep my procedures for both the same as much as possible. Others may more easily switch back and forth or dive CCR the majority of the time. There is nothing wrong with a BOV, they work for a lot of people. I'm simply more comfortable with a DSV in my configuration.

Bobby

The Light Dude
    Innovation through exploration

Local Zip Code Diver

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    For me it was actual application that was the issue.

So here's a hypothetical question: If you had no muscle memory either way and had to start over, would you go BOV or DSV?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    For me it was actual application that was the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by victorzamora View Post
    So here's a hypothetical question: If you had no muscle memory either way and had to start over, would you go BOV or DSV?

Sump Divers

I have had a bad co2 hit and was unable to swap to a reg. It happened in a matter of seconds. Only thing that kept me here today was extreme loop flushing and ascending to a depth where the scrubber could keep up. I now use a BOV.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Yes, Why?
    At least BOV plumbed in to offboard bailout is. Mouthpiece never leaves your mouth.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." --JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwood_60 View Post
    At least BOV plumbed in to offboard bailout is. Mouthpiece never leaves your mouth.
    You can go SCR with most rebreathers without removing the mouthpiece.

Sump Divers