Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I assume you know that most of the rescue divers were British? FWIW, the Seals couldn't figure out how to reach the boys until the British sump divers showed them the way. The Seals were helpful by bringing in fresh tanks every day. PS I love your username
    BBC today had an interview with a Belgian cave diver who was first on the scene with the Brits. He said the first day they had 1 inch visibility, high flow, and decided it was suicide. The locals told him thanks but they had to continue trying with the seals. He said he looked at these young guys equipped with sport gear like you would use on a shallow reef and decided he had to try again.
    He said they would have never got in with the gear they were using, talked about side mount, and said he was using a rebreather.
    The next day flow was down and visibility had improved to 1 meter. He got about 400 meter of line in. The British divers and him took turns laying line. They found an old map done by a French dry caver years ago and figured out where the boys would have to be.
    On the day they found the team, he had pushed to within 400 meters of where they felt the kids were before running out of line. The Brits were coming in as he exited the cave. They put in more line, and found the boys.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by RGU View Post
    BBC today had an interview with a Belgian cave diver who was first on the scene with the Brits. He said the first day they had 1 inch visibility, high flow, and decided it was suicide. The locals told him thanks but they had to continue trying with the seals. He said he looked at these young guys equipped with sport gear like you would use on a shallow reef and decided he had to try again.
    He said they would have never got in with the gear they were using, talked about side mount, and said he was using a rebreather.
    The next day flow was down and visibility had improved to 1 meter. He got about 400 meter of line in. The British divers and him took turns laying line. They found an old map done by a French dry caver years ago and figured out where the boys would have to be.
    On the day they found the team, he had pushed to within 400 meters of where they felt the kids were before running out of line. The Brits were coming in as he exited the cave. They put in more line, and found the boys.
    Thanks!

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

This is interesting:
    Cylinders placed at locations throughout the cave for replenishing the boys' air supply were "jammed" with 80 percent oxygen instead of regular air because "that would plus up their oxygen saturation levels and that would be really good for them, their mental state,"
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07...e-mission.html

Just wondering if we know for certain whether or not the kids were strapped in on stretchers, and to what extent they were sedated? ie - quite conscious and fully aware, but relaxed - or whether it was much heavier sedating?

The high O2 makes some sense from what I've experienced with first aid as I think O2 is standard for patience in distress and potential breathing difficulties. Given the environment they were in and high CO2 levels they've experienced (and my very limited experience in the medical field ) - it doesn't surprise me they chose to run higher oxygen levels. I heard of O2 making much difference to a mental state though - so would be interested if that's a proven thing. (Wasn't oxygen bars a thing a while ago - was that legit - or placebo? )

Quote Originally Posted by RGU View Post
    This is the interview. Very interesting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06dkgtn

Quote Originally Posted by adza View Post
    Just wondering if we know for certain whether or not the kids were strapped in on stretchers, and to what extent they were sedated? ie - quite conscious and fully aware, but relaxed - or whether it was much heavier sedating?

The high O2 makes some sense from what I've experienced with first aid as I think O2 is standard for patience in distress and potential breathing difficulties. Given the environment they were in and high CO2 levels they've experienced (and my very limited experience in the medical field ) - it doesn't surprise me they chose to run higher oxygen levels. I heard of O2 making much difference to a mental state though - so would be interested if that's a proven thing. (Wasn't oxygen bars a thing a while ago - was that legit - or placebo? )
    It would have been difficult to negotiate the sump with a stretcher.

Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by adza View Post
    . (Wasn't oxygen bars a thing a while ago - was that legit - or placebo? )
    No long term or controlled scientific studies have supported claims to any benefits. Probably a lot of placebo effect. Have the feeling the effect of breathing an invisible, odorless gas in a bar is to lighten your wallet.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    No long term or controlled scientific studies have supported claims to any benefits. Probably a lot of placebo effect. Have the feeling the effect of breathing an invisible, odorless gas in a bar is to lighten your wallet.

I wouldn't be surprised if the invisible odorless gas being dispensed in oxygen bars was actually "normoxic nitrox."

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    It would have been difficult to negotiate the sump with a stretcher.
    Some pictures released showed them using a SKED, which would be slightly easier.

"Cave diving is for grown ups. Make grown up decisions."
    -AJ

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Some pictures released showed them using a SKED, which would be slightly easier.
    I suspect sny type of stretchers were used once they got past the sumps. There is a lot of big cave to be negotiated from the last sump to the entrance.

Sump Divers