Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

What an epic rescue! Hats off to the many who made it all happen and to the cave divers involved. It's still very sad that a diver lost his life. It underscores the very high risks that the navy divers accepted by going in with limited cave training and equipment. The press and VIP publicity frenzy was quite a sight to behold. Even at the end of it, most journalists still can't get their facts straight about O2 vs Air in diving. I hope that the inevitable documentary and Hollywood movie that are for sure in the works will do a better job at educating the public.

The "Beeb" is reporting that the British cave divers pushed the cave to find the boys, and came up with the plan to rescue them. A Thai official said he called them after seals were having trouble getting into the cave.

It’s an amazing result. I was very pessimistic. I thought they might get one or two out and was very concerned that the team would lose people trying to rescue boys who panicked etc. Just extraordinary. Thoughts and prayers for the diver who died there.

This rescue event has been a true miracle.....weather held off, they were able to pump out the cave a lot (per one of the cave divers on an interview I heard today) which made it much easier as the rescue work progressed....AND a whole bunch of true hero divers who found the lost team, stayed with them until rescue plans were formed and PERFECTED, as evidenced by the results!
    One question has come to mind as the rescues were ongoing. The maps in the latest article are contradictory as to where the no mount restriction is. One shows it near Pattaya Beach, far into the cave, the other shows it being much nearer to the entrance, at the upstream side of a dry or semi-dry chamber. Was the restriction submerged initially? Was the cave pumped down enough to allow passage of the restriction in air space? One of the videos, the one Forrest eluded to, showed a Thai rescuer with a rock drill enlarging what looked like a very tight restriction.....I wonder if this was the one in question and it was elevated above water level enough as the cave was pump down to get the machinery in there to enlarge the restriction? Hopefully there will be some explanations as the effort gets discussed and critiqued.
    All in all a very amazing job by all and almost (Thai divers death) totally unexpected positive results.

Quote Originally Posted by phreaticus53 View Post
    One question has come to mind as the rescues were ongoing. The maps in the latest article are contradictory as to where the no mount restriction is. One shows it near Pattaya Beach, far into the cave, the other shows it being much nearer to the entrance, at the upstream side of a dry or semi-dry chamber. Was the restriction submerged initially?
    I'd suggest waiting for the rescue divers to finish up and pack up their gear and get home - and hear directly from them - then we'll know for sure. I've seen the media report first hand maps of caves before and completely stuff it up. (I wonder how much is misunderstanding/mishearing, and how often they just go with "we don't know but we'll make something up to put out there". I don't know how the media works - but I know the end result is often far from correct.

As for the rescue - I'm amazed at the result. I personally was slighly pessimistic that it wouldn't be a complete success and that there would be difficulties, and I've never been happier to be wrong! I note that apparently an anti-anxiety medication was given to each kid before they were extracted from the cave. I can't help but wonder how much that attributed to helping with the success, and without the medication whether or not things may have been significantly different. I think most of us here would be well aware of how deadly anxiety/panic is in a cave environment - and it seems a smart call - one I never thought of - to use medication to help avoid that.

Way to go to everyone who was involved! An incredible effort with a brilliant outcome. My prayers go out to the family for the Navy seal diver who gave his life during the operation.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I wonder how much this rescue cost. Both to the Thai government, and all the foreign aid they had.
    The costs of the rescue also include compensation to the nearby farmers whose fields were flooded and crops destroyed by the dumping of all the water pumped out of the cave.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by adza View Post
    I'd suggest waiting for the rescue divers to finish up and pack up their gear and get home - and hear directly from them - then we'll know for sure. I've seen the media report first hand maps of caves before and completely stuff it up. (I wonder how much is misunderstanding/mishearing, and how often they just go with "we don't know but we'll make something up to put out there". I don't know how the media works - but I know the end result is often far from correct.

As for the rescue - I'm amazed at the result. I personally was slighly pessimistic that it wouldn't be a complete success and that there would be difficulties, and I've never been happier to be wrong! I note that apparently an anti-anxiety medication was given to each kid before they were extracted from the cave. I can't help but wonder how much that attributed to helping with the success, and without the medication whether or not things may have been significantly different. I think most of us here would be well aware of how deadly anxiety/panic is in a cave environment - and it seems a smart call - one I never thought of - to use medication to help avoid that.

Way to go to everyone who was involved! An incredible effort with a brilliant outcome. My prayers go out to the family for the Navy seal diver who gave his life during the operation.
    It wouldn't have been possible in that short time, without the help of Dr Harry.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Meet the Wet Mules, the Aussie dive mates at the heart of the Thai cave rescue
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-1...helped/9981378
    http://www.wetmules.com/

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    Meet the Wet Mules, the Aussie dive mates at the heart of the Thai cave rescue
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-1...helped/9981378
    http://www.wetmules.com/
    Check out the "Friends of the Wet Mules" http://www.wetmules.com/

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

And, sadly, there are those that need to hush up and go away:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-1...ion-ch/9979166

"So long and thanks for all the fish!" -- Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy