Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by diverdarren View Post
    I wonder why no American cave divers or organizations have been asked to join the efforts. Like, perhaps members of the IUCRR. Would this be unreasonable? This has been going on for days now, plenty of time to employ other resources, right?
    There are cave divers and rescue groups in countries other than the US. If the cdg guys are having trouble, so would americans

I wonder why no American cave divers or organizations have been asked to join the efforts. Like, perhaps members of the IUCRR. Would this be unreasonable? This has been going on for days now, plenty of time to employ other resources, right?
    Although Thailand itself was not a colony, the general south east asia around it was under heavy British influence. There is still a strong presence to this day. I would be surprised if the idea of invoking American cave diving community?s help ever came up. Someone knowledgeable would have needed to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    There are cave divers and rescue groups in countries other than the US. If the cdg guys are having trouble, so would americans
    It’s good to have options. Irrespective of whether it was advisable or not, the recent Finnish recovery shows there is a graded assessment of risk and different parties may arrive at different conclusions that influence actions.

I volunteered to go over 3 days ago through a FB contact, could be there at no cost in 24 hours - heard no reply........

Administrator Forum Admin

The British team has the number one cave diver in the world, and the other two are very good too. FWIW, all three are also "dry" cavers, so they are much more qualified for this kind of rescue. I can only think of half a dozen US cave divers up to the task.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Administrator Forum Admin

Well I was just interviewed by the Canadian TV network for about 5 minutes over a cellphone. Did anyone on here in Canada happen to be watching?

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Ben Reymenants is also there to help. He is a belgisn but lives there. He was my cave instructor.
    I hope they get out alive.

Ozark Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I am aware of the Brits on scene, and the difficulties that they may be encountering, but I see no reason to believe that U.S. help could not be valuable.

I am aware of the Brits on scene, and the difficulties that they may be encountering, but I see no reason to believe that U.S. help could not be valuable.

Gotcha, it just sounded a little Team America #1'ish. Especially considering this isn't a cave diving rescue. It's a sump dive rescue, and the US is by far not the best choice for a sump diving rescue. I can agree the more heads the better, but when we're talking $1000s in flight costs and getting equipment over it isn't the most plausible.

It seems florida cave divers forget there are tons of european countries with cave and cave diving.