Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Since Forrest mentioned costs, it's worth mentioning that there's a large component of fully volunteer cave rescuers involved in the process. If you haven't already, please consider a donation here:
    http://www.caverescue.org.uk/

These guys are probably the most underspoken resources for stuff like this and are happy to put their lives on hold for whatever work it takes to help people. You're not going to see them go on speaking tours after this, so donations go a long way to make sure they're not taking a big hit on their own gear, travel costs and sort for the next one.

If the Aussies, or other volunteers involved in the rescue have any relevant non-self-serving pages soliciting donations then please post them here.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Michael F View Post
    This video shows the Ocean Reef solution for the valsalva maneuver while wearing a FFM. Hopefully the masks used during the rescue had some facsimile of this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-2K...keHickoryScuba
    That looks pretty complicated. However at 16' deep, it would be uncomfortable, but possible not to clear at all.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by jlillest View Post
    Since Forrest mentioned costs, it's worth mentioning that there's a large component of fully volunteer cave rescuers involved in the process. If you haven't already, please consider a donation here:
    http://www.caverescue.org.uk/

These guys are probably the most underspoken resources for stuff like this and are happy to put their lives on hold for whatever work it takes to help people. You're not going to see them go on speaking tours after this, so donations go a long way to make sure they're not taking a big hit on their own gear, travel costs and sort for the next one.

If the Aussies, or other volunteers involved in the rescue have any relevant non-self-serving pages soliciting donations then please post them here.
    Dr Harry was planning to go diving this week anyway. I suspect this is a justifiable expense. However the CDAA of which he is a member can probably accept donations. http://www.cavedivers.com.au

Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    All I can say is

Yeah, article isn't so impressive. Also the 16 dives to become cave certified really doesn't look that good to the average person. Sounds super easy. I think people that are choosing to contribute to articles and news agencies should pick their words with more thought put into it. Saying something like it takes tech training first, then leads into an extensive cave training program which can take months to years to finish sounds alot better. When you team 16 dives to be trained with the fact that 12 people were "rapidly taught to cave dive" as part of the rescue effort can lead to alot of people thinking how easy it is.

I'm interested to hear about the woman quoted and her no-mount Ginnie dive. I've never heard her name before.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    That looks pretty complicated. However at 16' deep, it would be uncomfortable, but possible not to clear at all.
    Agreed, most likely not a high priority in this instance but I was curious to know.

The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

They have two fixed hard rubber "bung" type things near your nose, when you push on the mask they block your nose so you can clear. If you have had nasal/septum surgery in the past it hurts like hell (well me anyway)......

The whole rescue was an amazing thing to hear about! This post has been a great supply of credible information! I don’t know if any of the divers are on this forum but nevertheless thank you to all involved with the rescue! With all of the publicity about cave diving and the success of this rescue, does anyone believe there will be an increase in divers wanting to start cave diving or non-divers wanting to start diving to begin the road to cave certification?

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Pullnglide View Post
    ...I don’t know if any of the divers are on this forum but nevertheless thank you to all involved with the rescue!...
    There are a couple that are members here, but I suspect they will be resting for the next several days

Sump Divers

CNN is now saying all of the rescuers are out as well. Great news and great job!

"So long and thanks for all the fish!" -- Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I received the following excerpt after sending a donation to the BCRC. I thought some of it may be informative to everyone here:

Seven experienced, voluntary British Cave Rescue cave divers and three other British Cave Rescue volunteers went to Thailand to support the Thai authorities and other international rescuers in their attempt to rescue the boys. Cave diving is inherently risky and is only used for rescue when it is the only, or safest, option.

The rescue attempt of diving the boys out started on Sunday at 10am Thai time and we believe that now, after three days, all the boys, their coach and all rescuers are safely out of the cave. Sadly, the retired Thai Navy SEAL diver, Saman Kunan lost his life whist helping with the rescue effort and our thoughts are with his family and comrades.

The British Cave Rescue Council and its fifteen voluntary cave rescue teams in the UK are mainly funded by donations. Most of the rescuers pay for their own personal safety and caving/diving kit. We expect to be able to help our volunteers in Thailand with their costs, replace lost and damaged kit and fund new rescue equipment due to the donations received.

Many organisations and countries helped the Thai authorities and the last three days have demonstrated how committed and effective multinational rescue team volunteers can be. May the rescuers always be safe and may they always be as successful.

Donations can be made from their main site at http://www.caverescue.org.uk/

Ken Sallot