Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Mike View Post
    What an amazing international effort this has been. Congrats and Thanks to everyone who helped with logistics, planning, on scene support, and of course the rescue team themselves! So great to hear this is coming to such a successful close. My heart goes out to the family of the fallen Thai Navy Seal who came back to the ranks just to assist in this effort. I think he would have been extremely proud of this result....
    I wonder how much this rescue cost. Both to the Thai government, and all the foreign aid they had.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Forgive me if this has already been discussed.
    I was just thinking about how difficult it must have been to prepare these kids for scuba. Something that just occurred to me is ear clearing (valsalva). That must have been challenging. I think I read somewhere that one of the sumps was fairly deep (98ft). And it's also my understanding the children were wearing full face masks, of which I have no experience. How does one valsalva with a full face mask?

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I wonder how much this rescue cost. Both to the Thai government, and all the foreign aid they had.

I'd estimate it probably cost about the same as the amount of the free drinks, meals, and Thai vacations that Mike, John, and team will be receiving here on out.

Welcome to the Dark Side. We Have Cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear6 View Post
    I was just thinking about how difficult it must have been to prepare these kids for scuba. Something that just occurred to me is ear clearing (valsalva). That must have been challenging. I think I read somewhere that one of the sumps was fairly deep (98ft). And it's also my understanding the children were wearing full face masks, of which I have no experience. How does one valsalva with a full face mask?
    I hadn't even considered the ear clearing part. I am not sure I would know how to clear my ears in a full face mask.

Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear6 View Post
    This article has some good graphics.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a3882286.html

It shows one section being under 16 feet of water. And a good graphic of the tight junction.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I hadn't even considered the ear clearing part. I am not sure I would know how to clear my ears in a full face mask.
    Depends on the mask, but most have something to block your lower nostrils. The AGA has a rubber nose block. The Draeger is really hard to describe, easier to just look.

The whole thing is amazing. I could not have imagined they would get them all out so quickly.

Prayers for the family of the Thai diver who passed away, but they can be proud that he gave his life to save others.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!" -- Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I was really impressed with how they planned and stuck with their plan, taking things slowly and carefully over three days to get everyone out. One rescue team death, unfortunately, and still some of the rescue team to get out, but it did seem carefully executed and controlled, at least after the first day or two.

At the risk of severely derailing this good thread: The NACD weighs in (claim to have 300 members -- lifetimes?):
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/Florida...well_169860115

"It was more than breathtaking, it was like having stumbled upon some alien cathedral on some other planet, which some otherworld race with their incomprehensible architecture and alien sculpture had ages past built, decorated, and dedicated to their unknowable God."
    James Jones. His Capitol M Manhood. In Down Time: Great Writers on Diving, 2nd ed.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDiver View Post
    At the risk of severely derailing this good thread: The NACD weighs in (claim to have 300 members -- lifetimes?):

They should send the rescuers some pizza in congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    This article has some good graphics.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a3882286.html

It shows one section being under 16 feet of water. And a good graphic of the tight junction.

The whole thing is amazing. I could not have imagined they would get them all out so quickly.

Prayers for the family of the Thai diver who passed away, but they can be proud that he gave his life to save others.
    The drawing says one area is too tight to wear a mask. Makes me suspicious about the whole article.

They got out so quickly because there are over a dozen British, and Australian sump divers there, plus a very large group of Navy Seals shuttling fresh tanks for them.

Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDiver View Post
    ...At the risk of severely derailing this good thread: The NACD weighs in (claim to have 300 members -- lifetimes?):
    All I can say is

Sump Divers

This video shows the Ocean Reef solution for the valsalva maneuver while wearing a FFM. Hopefully the masks used during the rescue had some facsimile of this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-2K...keHickoryScuba

The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.