Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    On a tangent, I submitted our article on sump rescue to UWS two weeks ago but haven't heard anything back yet.
    see PM

Barbara/San Francisco

Administrator Forum Admin

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Small nit-pick in the grand scale of the recovery efforts...but...

Will the press EVER figure out that oxygen is NOT air.....and air is not oxygen!!!!!!!

Probably not, but it tends to markedly decrease their credibility when they can't get this simple fact right!

What are opinions of the community on teaching boys 'diving' and then bringing them out? I feel that keeping them busy with learning something (e.g. diving or swimming) works well to take their mind off the situation and occupied. However, an idea to bring them actually out in zero-vis through the narrow sump passages sounds scary. Anyone aware of similar situation successfully managed in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by scubafreak View Post
    What are opinions of the community on teaching boys 'diving' and then bringing them out? I feel that keeping them busy with learning something (e.g. diving or swimming) works well to take their mind off the situation and occupied. However, an idea to bring them actually out in zero-vis through the narrow sump passages sounds scary. Anyone aware of similar situation successfully managed in the past?
    I think that if they try to swim them out with scuba gear, that some of them (if not most of them) will die. That needs to be an absolute last resort.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by BgDadddy View Post
    I think that if they try to swim them out with scuba gear, that some of them (if not most of them) will die. That needs to be an absolute last resort.
    That is exactly what the news stories say--"last resort."

The news reports are not very detailed. What I read is that there are sumps between air-filled sections. And yes, some of them are very tight. But if a boy has had training (swimming around with scuba gear where eyes are closed), has a full face mask, knows it will be tight for a short section, has one hand on a thick rope, and one hand on his leader's leg/fin, it would not be a death sentence. I'm not recommending it, but it's not as crazy as it sounds at first thought.

Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Latest update: https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/04/asia/...ntl/index.html

It looks like there may be another entrance nearby. The boys said they could hear dogs barking, and chickens crowing.
    That would be surprising. I believe Rick Stanton estimated they kids are 700 m under the surface. I can verify that lying alone in a cave with a stream, it can sound very much like people are walking toward you.

Last edited by Squirrel Girl; 07-05-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl View Post
    That would be surprising. I believe Rick Stanton estimated they kids are 700 m under the surface. I can verify that lying alone in a cave with a stream, it can sound very much like people are walking toward you.
    Yes, another news story suggested they might be imagining things.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by scubafreak View Post
    Those guys are the best in the world at this. The opinion of the "community" should be that if they feel that it is the safest way to resolve the situation while minimizing further risk, that we support their decision. They're there, we're not. They have information we don't. They're literally the best in the world at this, we're not, so I personally will defer to their expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Yes, another news story suggested they might be imagining things.
    I sat for an hour and half in a large room while the group I was with went to check out an area that I had no interest in.... In that time I heard trucks, a band, people walking, saw lights... slept for 15 minutes and thought it was over an hour.... total darkness and isolation will do that. This was in Fittons (Beauty) Cave in North Central Arkansas....

Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker