Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Question under Hwy 27 Souith of High Springs

There used to be a site under Hwy 27 south of High Springs that was a dumping hole for a long time. {I forget the name of this one ?} But, several attempts were done to try and clean it up. I think it may be at the apex of hwy27 & hwy 47, but I cannot recall what it was called. I never dove it, but it looked intriguing. Anyone know anything about this one ?

Are you thinking of Dracula?

Ken Sallot

You mean Vampire. It's completely clogged anf when dry you can stand on the sand. Really clogged.

Gator Hole is across the boat ramp at US27.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DogDiver View Post
    Gator Hole is across the boat ramp at US27.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vampire (Dracula) is a sinkhole on the side of the road hidden behind some brush on US27 as you're coming into High Springs from Newberry. Gator Hole is in the Santa Fe River, right off the boat ramp (if you dive Gator Hole, fly a dive flag, don't ask me how I know).

http://www.floridacaving.com/pages/events/08_9_03.htm

Ken Sallot

Going south on Hwy 27 past Poe Springs Rd ( road to Ginnie Springs ) about .2 of a mile, or the first bend in the road, is a place called Cliff Sink. The name is appropriate due to the climb down that is necessary to get to the water. The entrance is very small, but I'm told that the cavern was quite large. The Cavern runs due west, under the road. Back in the Ice Age when I dove it, the vis was maybe ten feet and max depth was around 50ish. The "showstopper" , for me at least, was the vast amount of jelly like pods, 3-6 inches in size and they were hanging everywhere!! They were whitish in color and somewhat opaque, just like the pods in "Aliens"!!! Kelly can probably shed some light on this, fungus, growth or whatever. Saw everything I needed to see in about 2.2 minutes and called it a day. Never been back.
    I think there is a fence around the pit now, probably due to the proximity to the trailer park or some such housing very close by. I'm going out to Ginnie tomorrow so I'll drive by there and post an update. Surface update only!! No diving

Maybe diving right under a septic tank? Almost sounds like the growth that Tracy N found in one of her exploration caves.

Quote Originally Posted by JE View Post
    There used to be a site under Hwy 27 south of High Springs that was a dumping hole for a long time. {I forget the name of this one ?} But, several attempts were done to try and clean it up. I think it may be at the apex of hwy27 & hwy 47, but I cannot recall what it was called. I never dove it, but it looked intriguing. Anyone know anything about this one ?
    Just returned from "Cliff Sink" and here's the latest. First of all the name---In Ned DeLoach guide to underwater florida, the name of this location is Cliff Sink. Ken and others have names for the place that are different but I'm sure we're all talking about the same location. Speaking of location, this $hithole is located right beside Hwy 27 and 172 Ave. Turn into 172nd for 50 feet, park on the right, very obvious trail on your left going 40 paces to the edge of the cliff. The trail winds down the eastern side of the depression, eventually turning due west and going down to the "Bone Dry" basin. The trail is well worn. Lots of folks have been down there lately. Probably all locals just checking things out. Usual assortment of "local trash" going down. If this place was once used as a dumping hole as JE calls it, there is no evidence of that today. Once again, just the usual beer cans and so on. No washing machines and such. I said the basin was bone dry, and it is, but it's possible that there is some water under the duck under entrance. I didn't get that far down the trail to actually look into what would have been the Cavern. About 10 million new winged friends were traveling with me! The entrance is very small as I remember, one person at a time going and coming. There might have been a line but we ran a reel due to the black water. No fence around the depression as I thought. No posted signs either. More houses that when I was there last. The sink is now totally surrounded on three sides with housing, and the west wall borders Hwy 27, so that makes it totally enclosed. So there you have it. Ned Deloach said it was quite the place, back in the day, but those days are long gone!!