Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I sold a heck of a lot of shims to people at CEE, ijs… You'd just better not be putting them on an AL tank! Not saying that was the case, but I know a lot of you here remember Fran...

Safe diving,

Rich
    I'm not totally familiar with the circumstances of that terrible accident but would a burst disk have made a difference?

No.

Safe diving,

Rich

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

So I'm the diver this happened to, here's what happened:

A friend had loaned us a tow scooter to practice towing around Ginnie for later dives that might require them. Our plan was for one of us to tow the scooter to stage bottle rock, drop the tow scooter and stages. Scooter up to the mainland jump. go to about 36 or 3700ish, turn the dive, swim back to the scooters, pick them up, scooter back to stage bottle rock and I would pick up the tow scooter and ride it out towing my scooter.

Everything went as planned until about 3500 feet of penetration into mainland. I felt a tickling on my right side and looked over and saw gas spewing out of a split in my 6 inch hose. I shut down the tank and switched to the left tank. I flashed my buddy and gave him the thumb. I turned on the right tank for a second to show him what was happening.

We turned around. I started feathering the valve to save gas while we were swimming back to the mainland jump. I'm not going to lie, I was a bit shaken up at the thought of being 3500 feet back with one tank on my side. I went a little faster than I should have back through the belly crawl and silted up a little bit which actually slowed us down. It also caused my breathing to increase. I came close to overbreathing the reg and had to concentrate to slow it down. Feathering a valve in an actual stressful situation is also hard. Feeling the hose give out of air for that split second before you crack the valve again kind of reminds you how dire the situation could be. I *know* I have enough gas to get out, but there's that deep sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach saying "you done messed up ... it's over"
    Once we got back to the mainland jump and I looked at the gas left and saw the scooter, I felt a little bit better but still extremely concerned. I wasted no time getting back to stage bottle rock, I mean I was flying out of there as fast as my little scooter would go.

When we picked up the stages I checked my gas again and it was only then where I actually relaxed and felt better. I switched to to the stage and pointed to my buddy to pick up the tow scooter. I'd had enough and just didn't want to play. When I got to the maple leaf I was thinking about the stage. I didn't want to breathe it dry and end up in another one tank situation. I switched back to back gas and rode it the rest of the way out, so I could switch to the stage if something happened.

Deco went fine. When I got back to dry land I had 2500 psi in the bottle I had to shut down and feather. I had 1500 in the bottle that I rode all the way out. and the stage was probably 1/4 full.
    Looking back, I was scared snotless but at no time was I ever even close to running out of gas. We had a tow scooter so the possiblity of having to swim out was roughly non-existent. It was a learning experience. Stuff CAN and WILL happen at max penetration. Plan for it. Practice for it.

I think we might just start dropping an extra safety bottle for the team at the mainland jump just to be on the safe side

Quote Originally Posted by cmint View Post
    I think we might just start dropping an extra safety bottle for the team at the mainland jump just to be on the safe side
    After two years of being away from cave country and doing a LOT of reading on CDF.... this weekend I started carrying a safety AL80.... I felt a lot more confident and was even able to add to a personal best down the Peanut tunnel. Still within 3rds but psychologically much more comfortable. Now to just work out the issues of stream lining.

Thanks for sharing.

Tim

Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker

Quote Originally Posted by cmint View Post
    Call me crazy, but when I get there on Friday night, I do a setup by dropping a full stage at SBR, and a safety at 2900'. Then on Saturday, I'll bring one or two stages depending on where I am going. Do a stage swap at SBR on the way in, and leaving the safety at 2900 to pick up on the way out. The safety is not part of the gas plan.... but there came a time when it was nice to have there.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...

Quote Originally Posted by diveconjeff View Post
    Call me crazy
    OK Jeff, you're crazy.

I started carrying an Al 72 as a buddy bottle while solo diving at Ginnie and it was so effortless I kept it for most dives even with a live buddy. I will not go anywhere solo in an OH without it and it also adds peace of mind even with a live buddy. I wonder what my desired comfort level will provoke when I start scootering in Caves...

The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I sold a heck of a lot of shims to people at CEE, ijs… You'd just better not be putting them on an AL tank! Not saying that was the case, but I know a lot of you here remember Fran...

Safe diving,

Rich
    I thought that was due to a dropped AL tank that cracked and ruptured

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Default Loss of Gas at Max Penetration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    I thought that was due to a dropped AL tank that cracked and ruptured
    It was, that’s why I put “Not saying that was the case...”

Safe diving,

Rich

P.S. People need to be more aware of the dangers of filling tanks!!

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    I've seen plenty leak. Never seen one blow in the water.
    I've seen a couple blow at the fill station, couple on a truck bed, never in the water though, just small bubbles
    I had one blow between the fill station, and the cave once. After that I either had bolts. or high pressure discs. It is a wonder we don't have more blow since people are filling tanks to 4000 PSI these days. But you are right, once the tanks get in the water, and cool down, they aren't very likely to blow.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers