Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Lost In Little River

I know, the title sounds impossible but here we go...

I thought I might make it a month without incident but oh well.

Our team of three (all full cave certified under 100) dove Little River yesterday 6/10 with incredible conditions (No Flow/Great Vis). We ran a reel from the steps down to the gold-line (i was in lead position), dropped O2 tanks, headed up Merry-go-Round (marked cookie), made it to the "T" to Florida Room (marked cookie), headed to/into Florida room and swam to thirds.

At the turn, we kept our positions (I became the last diver, middle stayed in middle, and #3 became #1).

I started making photographs on the trip out. Plenty of images of the middle divers fins. Everything is going smoothly, the cave is amazing, we made it to the "T" to Merry-go-Round and pulled cookies. I continued happily making photographs as we continued to exit, or at least I thought we were headed to the exit. It seemed like it was taking a bit longer than usual to reach the big arrow leading to the exit.

As it turns out, Our entire team of three COMPLETELY MISSED THE "T" TO THE EXIT and we were not fully aware of that fact until we reached the "T" to the Florida room again. Yes, we had made the complete circle swimming up the Serpentine passage back to the Florida room "T". We caught the exit "T" and pulled our cookies the 2nd time around. Pretty embarrassing and I did notice that the entire team definitely began swimming more rapidly after we had realized out mistake. We exited with no further complications and joined the BIG OLE DECO PARTY / PHOTO SHOOT that was taking place in the cavern and basin. What could have been disastrous was just an incident.

Back on the surface packing, one of my team members mentioned, "that sort of thing makes you really think about what could happen, especially considering that we were diving in optimal conditions". I agreed.

Lesson learned: It doesn't matter my position on the line, it doesn't matter how amazed I am by the environment or dive conditions, it doesn't matter what task I am involved with, I MUST KEEP TRACK OF NAVIGATION. I am ultimately responsible for getting myself back to the surface.

I would dive again tomorrow with either of these people. I think all three of us got a little reality check yesterday and the importance of line awareness and navigational awareness is a little more concrete today.

Dominick

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

Administrator Forum Admin

I have done the same thing on a scooter. Before they re-lined Little River, it was easy to miss the second T. It still would be easy, if you aren't paying attention.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I hate to disagree Forrest but the lines as they are now are very obvious. My hat is off to Dominick for posting about this though, that takes guts and is going to help others.
    Awareness is one of the keys and needs to be focused on more during training.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

In more usual Little River conditions, the flow is a strong reminder of which way you're going.

also done it on a scooter, and done missed it swimming once but realized my mistake once i hit the harper tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    I hate to disagree Forrest but the lines as they are now are very obvious. My hat is off to Dominick for posting about this though, that takes guts and is going to help others.

I imagine I am going ot keep making mistakes while learning. As long as I survive them I plan on sharing.

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

Are the arrows every 100' not there any more?

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." --JFK

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I have done the same thing on a scooter. Before they re-lined Little River, it was easy to miss the second T. It still would be easy, if you aren't paying attention.
    By the way Forrest, I really appreciate this section of the forum and the idea of sharing our learning experiences and/or near misses. It makes it more concrete for me to share it with others.

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post

I don't think we disagree. One can miss anything if they aren't paying attention.

Last edited by FW; 06-11-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Definitely a reality check once we got to the Florida room T I realized I hadn't been paying enough attention to navigation as much as I had been trying to look like a badass for the camera. Lesson learned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk