Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Alachua Sink

Quote Originally Posted by cmint View Post
    Just curious,

Would the amount of chemicals that would off-gas from treated steps over time, diluted by the amount of water flowing through there during that time really have that much of an effect when compared to the massive amounts of other chemicals around?

I'm really curious because I see plenty of other sites that have treated lumber and there are fish and crayfish that seem to be pretty happy living in those sinks. I'd think the random splashes of diesel and tar running off from the interstate and 441 or the grease trap behind the area restaurants would have a bigger effect than a few boards.

I may be totally wrong in my logic and if I am please let me know.
    The new treated lumber doesn't have the same nasty stuff it had 20 years ago. There is a Lowes right above the upstream tunnel with an unlined runoff basin also right above the tunnel as well. Those have about 100% failure rate. TK Basin was built to handle the runoff from new development and guess where the overflow from tk basin goes..you guessed it mill creek preserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly-vester View Post
    The city of Alachua can?t close the cave. Where was all this concern when they where fill the aquifer full of grout and put a wal-mart gas station above it. The runoff from 75 and the runoff the development right around the sink are doing real damage now that are of a bigger concern than wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cindy was involved with the fight to keep Walmart out of the area over ten years ago. I don't agree with her approach of threatening to try and get the cave closed but she has done a lot of good for the cave community in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by EGIB View Post
    Cindy was involved with the fight to keep Walmart out of the area over ten years ago. I don't agree with her approach of threatening to try and get the cave closed but she has done a lot of good for the cave community in the past.

She could get the Nobel Prize for environmental conservation, but as soon as you act like a baby and threaten to run to governmental agencies to close a cave, you lose all credibility and say. Act like an adult not a whiney baby threatening to call mommy.