Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alachua Sink

Hybrid View

Default Alachua Sink

This is copied and pasted from Cindy Butler ...
    I am not quite sure how to get in touch with the NSS CDS anymore. I was at Alachua Sink AKA Mill Creek sink. I was informed that there are plan in motion to replace the current step with steps that have treated lumbar. The reason we did not use treated lumber the first time was the chemicals would poison the crayfish. Not to mention the cave water has been tested and it comes out at Hornsby Springs at the 7 day Adventist camp for kids. Not to mention the cave runs under several home wells in High Springs. This was all hashed out once and it was decided it was better to replace the non treated steps every few years instead of using lumber that could cause damage. I am unable to find how to message this to the current NSS CDS Board of directors. Can we not learn from past process? Would some of the Cave Divers that still follow my posts please let the CDS know that killing off a species of crayfish that is NOT found anywhere else is ill advised. Not to mention contaminating drinking water. The reason that cave is open now was due to the efforts of people who are no longer diving. The CDS would be well advised to learn from the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill

Would recycled plastic be an option? I know it?s expensive but would last a long time (I think). Take up a collection. Just a thought

roadkill

Just because someone posted it doesn't neccessarily mean the info is accurate. I'm fairly sure the current board understsnds the delicate nature of the native species.

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    Just because someone posted it doesn't neccessarily mean the info is accurate. I'm fairly sure the current board understsnds the delicate nature of the native species.
    True but she was on the original stair committee so to speak. I posted only as giving info maybe the newer people aren?t aware of and might want to investigate.

roadkill

At at previous job I did a lot of underwater work in a very highly chlorinated pool. We used 316L stainless exclusively for anything that lived in the water. This is up to an included floor anchors load tested to 7000+ lbs.

Is it a cost thing that access routes in Florida are all wooden instead of aluminum or steel? At least the parts that are typically submerged all or in part? Sure the initial investment will be higher, but it's gotta be cheaper than replacing steps all the time. No worry about using treated wood leaching anything into the aquifer, much longer usable life, etc.

Something like these:
    http://alumidock.com/aluminum-stairways
    https://thedockdoctors.com/aluminum-stairs.html

Cindy Butler is no longer a guide at Mill Creek (Alachua) Sink and doesn't know what she's talking about. There is no formulated plan to replace the stairs at Mill Creek Sink, only the recognition that they are desperately needed and some general discussion about how to get it done. I did meet with Steve Boyer some time ago to discuss the project but nothing more has come of that due to his other ongoing stairs projects. We do have funding for materials from the NSS but we don't know where the labor or engineering expertise is coming from. More to the point, we haven't settled on a design much less the type of wood to be used.

Safe diving,

Charles Roberson
    Preserve Manager
    NSS-Mill Creek Sink Preserve

J. Charles Roberson
    FATHOM Dive Systems, LLC
    jcr@fathomdive.com

Default Alachua Sink

Quote Originally Posted by jcr View Post
    Cindy Butler is no longer a guide at Mill Creek (Alachua) Sink and doesn't know what she's talking about. There is no formulated plan to replace the stairs at Mill Creek Sink, only the recognition that they are desperately needed and some general discussion about how to get it done.

Safe diving,

Charles Roberson
    Preserve Manager
    NSS-Mill Creek Sink Preserve
    Not sure what Cindy being a guide has to do with it. As stated it was just what she heard was planned and was concerned as she and all of us should be.
    Didn?t mean it as a hate crime against the CDS If taken that way I apologize
    Glad to hear conservation efforts are being perused.
    Thank you to everyone who has worked so hard to get the ?extra land? so people or corporations like Walmart don?t ruin our water.
    If funding is needed in the future I?m sure most of use will be willing to donate.
    Lee Ann Waggener.
    Diverlee

roadkill

There are no plans currently to replace the stairs at Alachua Mill Creek Preserve. Their stairs are in need of replacing but currently, there are no plans underway. We would hope to get something done maybe coming in fall or winter time due to the heat during the summer but so far it’s just a blackboard sketch. When the time comes we have Dr. Mark Ward from the University of Florida and we have Dr. Thomas Sawicki of Florida A and M, as consultants on building materials that will be used on the site but only when the time comes. Right now we’re in the process of negotiating a conservation easement on the property for the NSS. The three parcels to the south of the site are being contracted and then are going to be retrofitted to manage the off flow of stormwater from Sonny’s and that developed area. In addition, the 200 acres north including the mill creek is going under contract with Suwanee River water management District to preserve it as well, in addition, retrofitting of stormwater runoff of water coming from the interstate so that should improve water quality in the basin. Right now we’re mostly working on the conservation easement in the protecting the parcels around the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee View Post
    Not sure what Cindy being a guide has to do with it. As stated it was just what she heard was planned and was concerned as she and all of us should be.
    Didn?t mean it as a hate crime against the CDS If taken that way I apologize
    If you sensed frustration in my response it's because Cindy also sent an email to the NSS-CDS BOD threatening to contact the City of Alachua to get the cave closed if we used treated lumber. When I contacted her and explained that she had incorrect information, she flatly refused to retract or correct the record.

J. Charles Roberson
    FATHOM Dive Systems, LLC
    jcr@fathomdive.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcr View Post
    If you sensed frustration in my response it's because Cindy also sent an email to the NSS-CDS BOD threatening to contact the City of Alachua to get the cave closed if we used treated lumber. When I contacted her and explained that she had incorrect information, she flatly refused to retract or correct the record.
    Pm sent

roadkill