Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alachua Sink

Quote Originally Posted by jcr View Post
    Cindy Butler is no longer a guide at Mill Creek (Alachua) Sink and doesn't know what she's talking about. There is no formulated plan to replace the stairs at Mill Creek Sink, only the recognition that they are desperately needed and some general discussion about how to get it done. I did meet with Steve Boyer some time ago to discuss the project but nothing more has come of that due to his other ongoing stairs projects. We do have funding for materials from the NSS but we don't know where the labor or engineering expertise is coming from. More to the point, we haven't settled on a design much less the type of wood to be used.

Safe diving,

Charles Roberson
    Preserve Manager
    NSS-Mill Creek Sink Preserve
    Steve Boyer and RB Havens are masters at building decks and stairs. RB could have some cycles if Steve is fully loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee View Post
    Not sure what Cindy being a guide has to do with it. As stated it was just what she heard was planned and was concerned as she and all of us should be.
    Didn?t mean it as a hate crime against the CDS If taken that way I apologize
    If you sensed frustration in my response it's because Cindy also sent an email to the NSS-CDS BOD threatening to contact the City of Alachua to get the cave closed if we used treated lumber. When I contacted her and explained that she had incorrect information, she flatly refused to retract or correct the record.

J. Charles Roberson
    FATHOM Dive Systems, LLC
    jcr@fathomdive.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcr View Post
    If you sensed frustration in my response it's because Cindy also sent an email to the NSS-CDS BOD threatening to contact the City of Alachua to get the cave closed if we used treated lumber. When I contacted her and explained that she had incorrect information, she flatly refused to retract or correct the record.
    Pm sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill

Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee View Post
    Thanks!
    Is there a site or place that has up to date info on CDS happenings? I don?t seem to be able to locate if there is. Thank you again. Hope you don?t mind if I I copy your ?statement? to her post.
    Thank you for all you do!

I have been posting here.
    http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showt...843#post342843

Default Alachua Sink

Quote Originally Posted by Sly-vester View Post
    Thank you

roadkill

lovely, we dont need another Stan Wrong to close another cave!

Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post
    lovely, we dont need another Stan Wrong to close another cave!
    The city of Alachua can?t close the cave. Where was all this concern when they where fill the aquifer full of grout and put a wal-mart gas station above it. The runoff from 75 and the runoff the development right around the sink are doing real damage now that are of a bigger concern than wood.

Quote Originally Posted by diverlee View Post
    thanks!
    Is there a site or place that has up to date info on cds happenings? I don?t seem to be able to locate if there is. Thank you again. Hope you don?t mind if i i copy your ?statement? To her post.
    Thank you for all you do!

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
    nsscds.org

Just curious,

Would the amount of chemicals that would off-gas from treated steps over time, diluted by the amount of water flowing through there during that time really have that much of an effect when compared to the massive amounts of other chemicals around?

I'm really curious because I see plenty of other sites that have treated lumber and there are fish and crayfish that seem to be pretty happy living in those sinks. I'd think the random splashes of diesel and tar running off from the interstate and 441 or the grease trap behind the area restaurants would have a bigger effect than a few boards.

I may be totally wrong in my logic and if I am please let me know.

Default Alachua Sink

Quote Originally Posted by cmint View Post
    Just curious,

Would the amount of chemicals that would off-gas from treated steps over time, diluted by the amount of water flowing through there during that time really have that much of an effect when compared to the massive amounts of other chemicals around?

I'm really curious because I see plenty of other sites that have treated lumber and there are fish and crayfish that seem to be pretty happy living in those sinks. I'd think the random splashes of diesel and tar running off from the interstate and 441 or the grease trap behind the area restaurants would have a bigger effect than a few boards.

I may be totally wrong in my logic and if I am please let me know.
    I have no scientific based research to back my suspicion other than general scientific knowledge and common sense, but yes I think you're correct. The small amount of pressure treated wood comapred to the water volume makes me think its a nonissue. There are much worse offenders.

Theoretically regular exhalation from divers (depending on how often dove) would release CO2 which would eventually convert carbonic acid via carbonic anhydrase, which could be detrimental to the loval environment. And realistically thats not any concern.

So if she really cared that much she'd push to ban diving in all caves. We cause damage anytime we carefully enter the environment. Lets focus on pollution and crap divers.