Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default getting bent lessons learned

So this occurred a few months ago, but nonetheless is still relevant. So to start i did analyze my tanks, everything from the O2 to the back gas as i always do. However this was a friday and i had just gotten in to cave country and wanted to get a dive in that friday evening so as i analyzed i hopped from tank to tank rather quickly with the analyzer, not fully letting it settle between tanks. Which is likely the cause of the incident. I analyzed my back gas last after 2 stages and O2 and noticed it was down around 28% which should have been a red flag but i just figured no big deal ill just put that as my mix on the computer and it will be fine. Well later i found out that there was another set of doubles that i filled at the exact same time that was confirmed to be air by 3 different analyzers. So there is a very high probability it was air in my back gas. My own fault as i filled the tanks and likely grabbed the wrong wip. Did around 2 hrs bottom time in ginnie. G/F 40/85. About 30 min after the dive i was in terrible pain in the left elbow(literally "bent" over in pain) and shoulder so i got on O2 and took a bunch of advil and rode it out. May not have been the best choice but i think i was in denial about it. Anyways i think the most important lesson here is to remember to never ever be in a hurry, always fully analyze to get an accurate reading. Pretty basic lessons but shows how being in a rush can easily lead to a problem. Luckily mine was not anything major but could have been fatal in another dive scenario. Dive safe! Now may the trolls rip me apart.

I'm not going to rip you. I will say that when I was a recreational diver I thought the analyze every tank right before every dive was a bit over the top. I also thought that the GUE standard gas of 32% for 0-100' was over the top. Then I built a fill station in my garage, started blending my own gases and doing deco dives. I now realize just how easy it is to get in the situation you were in and how both of those can save my butt from being there with you.

There's never anything other then 32% and 50% in all my tanks and they all get analyzed right before each dive.

I hope you feel better.

Hey Jeff, Thank you for being open about your incident. It takes courage to put it out there for dissection and abuse.

It's a strong reminder to always be diligent about analyzing your bresting gas. When in doubt, recheck the tank. Did you analyze it afterwards? From your post, it sounds like you are saying you were breathing 21% marked as 28% or possibly using a different set of tanks.

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Now that I'm mixing tmx and nitrox I have tanks in my fill station with both. I analyze during and after filling, bedore throwing in the car, and at the dive site. I no longer mark my tanks until the day they go in the truck. A marked tank is a reason to not analyze. I now dive standard gases 99% of the time and have moved to dedicated stages for mixes. I should go to dedicated back gas for tmx and nitrox, but with 2 divers in the house I'm already maxxed out on room for tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After filling the tanks of 32 which I can’t remember the pressures but they were around 27%

Really the lesson I learned is you can really have a bad day without full proper Analysis likely not a fill station problem but human error is in everything we do, and you may think you’re hot #### but I can promise you will make a mistake from tome to time

As a Cave diver starting CCR training this serves as a reminder for me to slow down and follow procedures.
    I am copying content only to use with my nitrox students to as well.

Thanks for sharing. This is how we all learn and stay safe.

"Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley
    A lot of other people use this but I feel that it is very appropriate!

Thanks for sharing Jeff

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...

thanks for sharing.

I will say that I have found that I am more diligent about out when I use the LPI connections since I can let it stabilize and don't worry about valves that aren't quite smooth etc. With the cootwo I pop it on the first reg while I'm putting the second one on and move down the line. By the time the next reg is on, it's stable and then I know everything was one with the same flow rates etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    thanks for sharing.

I will say that I have found that I am more diligent about out when I use the LPI connections since I can let it stabilize and don't worry about valves that aren't quite smooth etc. With the cootwo I pop it on the first reg while I'm putting the second one on and move down the line. By the time the next reg is on, it's stable and then I know everything was one with the same flow rates etc.
    Similar thing here. Now that I have a divesoft with the din pressure regulator I take alot more time analyzing and give it full time to normalize. When I'm using my analox I tend to blow from tank to tank since I'm using more gas and having to listen to the hiss. Never thought itd make a difference till recently.