Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ozark Forum Moderator

Default Rust in steel tanks

I broke down my Faber lp 98's for hydro yesterday and found rust spots inside. What is the best thing to remedy this situation?

depending on how bad, either a whip if it's not that bad, or a tumble. If they are flash rust spots you can leave them if you want

If you aren't a certified vipper or know what you're looking at, bring them to a shop. I vip all my own tanks and put out the money for courses and all of the supplies, which gets pricey. One thing I've learned from others' mistakes is if you don't know if it's flash rust vs true rust and you choosed to leave it, in a year you're going to have a pit. At next hydro you'll have a deep pit. Tumbling and whipping services at most shops are way cheaper than the sweat you put into doing it yourself. Based on your question, I would say have a shop deal with it.

Edit: if you're having them hydro'd they'll deal with it at that point anyway. They're just going to get more rust (flash rust) after hydro unless you're using somebody like Hydro Dave

Ozark Forum Moderator

I'm just using a fire extinguisher shop for hydro; went ahead and took them in, plan to have a shop vip them after hydro, so I guess they can deal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by diverdarren View Post
    I broke down my Faber lp 98's for hydro yesterday and found rust spots inside. What is the best thing to remedy this situation?
    http://thedecostop.com/forums/showth...642#post176642

People still post at thedecostop?

NACD Cave DPV Cert # 666: Cave DPV Anti-christ

In my experience, Faber tanks are slightly less prone to flash rust than Worthington or PST tanks, but if you've got spots, you probably have more than just some flash rust.

The problem with a spot of rust is that unlike light flash rust, you can't see what is under the spot or how extensive it is. Rust is also hygroscopic (attracts moisture) so it will collect any moisture in the gas in the tank and hold it against the tank, promoting more rust. The end result will, sooner or later, be a pit under that spot of rust. And once the pit exceeds the allowable limits for the tank and area of the tank, it will have to be condemned.

Consequently, I tend to be a bit anal about rust in tanks and I tumble them to remove anything other than flash rust in a customer tank, and in my own tanks or in a tank to be O2 cleaned I tumble them to remove all traces of rust.

NACD Cave DPV Cert # 666: Cave DPV Anti-christ

I just condemned a tank some guy took for hydro before he brought it to me so he could save money.

Quote Originally Posted by hotelconucc93 View Post
    I just condemned a tank some guy took for hydro before he brought it to me so he could save money.

Seems odd. I thought by law hydro facilities were required to do a visual inspection and look for pits that exceed allowable limits. If they're present, they condemn the tank. If it's on the line the hydro and if it passes it passes. I was taught in vip class that if you have a tank with pits and it's in that grey zone of depth or pit % then you send it to hydro to see if it passes.

Am I assuming that all hydro facilities have to vip? I thought it was in my vip manual that they did. Maybe I'm spoiled by Hydro Dave.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    ...Maybe I'm spoiled by Hydro Dave.
    Most likely. Some hydro shops don't even dry the tanks out. If you send tanks for hydro through a shop, they know to dry them, and usually add the VIP on the cost of the hydro.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers