Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Steel 72's and genesis's Valves

I have been holding on to these with hope that I will be able to get back into diving but i am stuck in a jam and need to lighten some gear. I have 2 steel 72s that I need to sell, have no clue of the market so make me an offer (please dont rip me off) as I have not been in the loop for some time. 72s will need a hydro so you are buying on the assumption they are good. tanks have been stored tho with dry air inside and still holding pressure. the tanks also are with the 45 degree angle genessis valves that are in great shape.

Please email me at bgsnafu82@gmail.com if interested and I will send pictures.

Thank you
    Ben

Administrator Forum Admin

Are you sure they are 72s? The original 72s had 3/4" valves. Could they be HP 100s?

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Are you sure they are 72s? The original 72s had 3/4" valves. Could they be HP 100s?
    I have some genesis valves in 3/4"

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    My thoughts on this, is that the OP has 72's with Genesis valves ( from the Genesis company ) They made angled valves in the standard 3/4NPS.
    The only 7/8 UNF valves that I've ever seen with an angle, is the old Sherwood manifold made from around 87 to who knows when. As you know, this manifold could not be broken down into two separate K valves. I won't go so far as to say that Genesis scuba never made an angel 7/8 UNF K valve, but if they did, I've never seen one!

I learned the hard way that 72s aren't worth much. I decided to keep mine eventhough it goes unused. So if you get really low offers don't be surprised. I had no clue what they went for either.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I learned the hard way that 72s aren't worth much. I decided to keep mine eventhough it goes unused. So if you get really low offers don't be surprised. I had no clue what they went for either.
    "Not much" is definitely the correct answer. I have some really old ones that would make good mailboxes. I've thought about taking them out to Ginnie and leaving them on one of the picnic tables with a sign saying, "Free to good owner"

I have been told they are nice sidemount tanks but honestly I think most people had rather dive lp 50's jacked up or al80's. Either will give you a out the same amount of gas.

Steel 72s are really nice tanks. The current market value for them is pretty low. It would be pretty hard to get ripped off on an offer. Locally, they come up on Craigslist for about $25 out of hydro with old valves.

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    I have been told they are nice sidemount tanks but honestly I think most people had rather dive lp 50's jacked up or al80's. Either will give you a out the same amount of gas.
    they aren't bad for sidemount, just really inefficient for capacity:weight

I will buy them off you for $50 each. I can service them and give them new life. I have over 100 of them. They could be a maintnence nightmare, so we only use them in recreational classes, rarely rent them. A very few have narrow neck valves. How will I get them? Can you leave at Dive Outpost? I can PayPal you.

Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Dayo Scuba Center LLC
    Orlando, Florida