Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Moderating

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,383

    Default Moderating

    Is it normal on this board for moderators to moderate threads theyre participating in? Is it normal to move (aka delete) posts that don?t violate the rules? Perhaps the rules should be rewritten so everyone knows them and they can be applied equally.

    ?Moderators can delete posts that hurt their personal feelings?.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    Is it normal on this board for moderators to moderate threads theyre participating in? Is it normal to move (aka delete) posts that don?t violate the rules? Perhaps the rules should be rewritten so everyone knows them and they can be applied equally.

    ?Moderators can delete posts that hurt their personal feelings?.
    Hey, you lost your right to complain when you refused the relocated alligator.

    "If we could just find out who's in charge, we could kill him."
    "If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten"
    "I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it"
    "Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."
    "One tequila, Two tequila, Three tequila, Floor"

    George Carlin 6-22-2008


    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,794

    Default

    There's a new pay version that keeps you moderator free.


  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    Hey, you lost your right to complain when you refused the relocated alligator.
    So, if we want to complain we just have to load up an alligator next time we're at Peacock? I'm starting my list today so I can unleash all my complaints during my upcoming trip to cave country!


  5. #5

    Default

    PS The first rule about Bonnet dive club is you don't talk about Bonnet dive club...


  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    Is it normal on this board for moderators to moderate threads they're participating in? Is it normal to move (aka delete) posts that don?t violate the rules? Perhaps the rules should be rewritten so everyone knows them and they can be applied equally.

    ?Moderators can delete posts that hurt their personal feelings?.
    I just read the rules (again). I don't see a rule that says moderators are disallowed from moving (aka deleting) posts because they're posted in that thread. I can think of many reasons why that wouldn't work. A thread could be 10 pages long and a moderator posted just one reply. They aren't allowed to moderate? A moderator is passionate, but respectful, in a thread and then someone blatantly breaks a clear rule. They aren't allowed to moderate?

    Sometimes, despite the great idea of rules (which I support), you can't predict every single thing that someone will do that shouldn't belong on a forum. Sometimes the moderators have to make that judgement call that, "that shouldn't be up on a public site."

    Hmmm, I guess I'll never be able to moderate this thread, now!

    On my way to the Land of Enchantment!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl View Post
    I just read the rules (again). I don't see a rule that says moderators are disallowed from moving (aka deleting) posts because they're posted in that thread. I can think of many reasons why that wouldn't work. A thread could be 10 pages long and a moderator posted just one reply. They aren't allowed to moderate? A moderator is passionate, but respectful, in a thread and then someone blatantly breaks a clear rule. They aren't allowed to moderate?

    Sometimes, despite the great idea of rules (which I support), you can't predict every single thing that someone will do that shouldn't belong on a forum. Sometimes the moderators have to make that judgement call that, "that shouldn't be up on a public site."

    Hmmm, I guess I'll never be able to moderate this thread, now!

    Very well said, Barbara. This forum has the best moderation, most civil discussions, and highest signal to noise ratio of any forum I'm on. One of the unfortunate things about taking any kind of position of responsibility is that you can never make everybody happy.

    Mike


  8. #8
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    22,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    Is it normal on this board for moderators to moderate threads theyre participating in? Is it normal to move (aka delete) posts that don?t violate the rules? Perhaps the rules should be rewritten so everyone knows them and they can be applied equally.

    ?Moderators can delete posts that hurt their personal feelings?.
    You know full well you were just "stirring the pot" If you don't like the moderation here, feel free to go somewhere else where they will appreciate your wiseacre comments

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    You know full well you were just "stirring the pot" If you don't like the moderation here, feel free to go somewhere else where they will appreciate your wiseacre comments
    so no rules were broken?


  10. #10
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    22,862

    Default

    You are another "pot stirrer" and welcome to go away along with AJ.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers


 

Similar Threads

  1. who is moderating these other forums?
    By rchrds in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 10:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts