Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Scooter burn tester

I?m looking for advise on purchasing or building a burn tester for my Hollis H-160

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by NOLAcaver84 View Post
    I?m looking for advise on purchasing or building a burn tester for my Hollis H-160
    I have one I will sell.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Besides a burn tester, a Watts Up meter is pretty simple. For lots more info there is the Eagle Tree Data Logger.

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Your purpose in wanting a burn tester for a scooter is important. You've mentioned the Hollis H-160, which unless something has changed, has a NiMh battery. I avoided that era in battery technology as our cave diving and cave trips often comes in week long spurts that are 3-4 months apart, and NiMh batteries don't do well in that condition. If we'd went that route we'd have had to either take them for a spin on a regular basis in the local quarry (not so fun in January), or use a burn tester to keep the battery in peak condition.

If your need is similar to what I've described then a burn tester is the way to go if actual diving on a regular basis (at least once and preferably twice a month) basis is not an option.

Otherwise you are far better served with (in descending order of preference) a data logger like one of the Eagle Tree models, a Watts Up meter, or a clone of the Watts. Just be sure whatever you choose can handle the maximum peak amperage (with a healthy reserve) and is fail safe so that if it fails power will still flow to the motor.

Data loggers are becoming more or less standard equipment on many of the newer brushless motor scooters, and they can be added to any scooter where you can plug it in between the battery and motor, and have room for it in the scooter. A data logger will provide a wealth of information including current flow at various power levels (If I recall the H-160 has 3 speeds, plus 9 prop pitch settings. If you tape a wet note to the top of the scooter and note your changes in speed and pitch, you can compare that with the data and get a very good idea of the amps required in each setting. if you add in some time/speed/distance trials you can then figure out how many amps you use at a given speed, and from that you can figure out your use and range at a set speed, such as 150 fpm.

More importantly you can see exactly what was used on a given dive. Over time you can both determine very accurately where the limits are within your preferred battery reserve, and you can spot any trends that indicate the battery is losing capacity.

A Watts Up meter gives you fewer parameters, but you can use the total amps used to come up with much of the same information above with some careful test design and dive logging.

Even with a burn tester, a data logger or watts up meter makes sense to use on at least some of your dives.

NACD Cave DPV Cert # 666: Cave DPV Anti-christ