Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default SM Valve Selection

Just got two matched old PST steel 72's tanks really cheap. Just got them fresh hydro's and viz. This gives me 2 sets of 72's and a set of 95's for SM.

My question is regarding valves. My other pairs and some of my other tanks I have outfitted with Blue Steel Pro Modular valves.

I don't really like the way the burst disk plug is located on the back of the Blue Steel valves. Seems like it would be a good place to get tangled on the line or catch on things.

For my newest set of 72's I have been thinking of switching valve types to Thermo valves, seems like burst disk plug is better protected.

Am I over thinking this or should I just get another set of Blue Steel Valves and stay consistent with my other tanks?

Thanks

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

how important is consistency of valve parts?
    Pretty much all of the modular valves are going to have burst discs in the same spot because of the plugs/manifold. I don't worry about it

Administrator Forum Admin

Try Divegear Express https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-...t-typical-side

Their burst discs are recessed. Click on the pictures, they show both sides, and the recessed burst disc.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I agree to go with DGE options. I personally am not a fan of blue steel valves. Don't know why, I just don't like them. I go with either Thermo or DGE. Not all DGE valves are the same though. They have the premium which Forrest showed you which are great, and then they have 2 modular valves. I personally always use modular valves over pro valves. Not sure why, I just always have, so pro valves feel weird to me.

If you do go modular, don't go with the regular premium, go with long neck. The regular premium hurt your hand when you carry them. Seems stupid, but if you're worried about placement of the burst disk, you'll appreciate the difference.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-...x-ready-valves