Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default P1-P3 closed 5/17-18 due to gator

Just up at orange grove yesterday and P1-P3 are all closed through today or tomorrow due to an alligator that needs to be relocated. Not really sure why all of them needed to be closed for a single gator but it is what it is I guess. At least OG was open for diving. Viz was good too below 20?

I was out there last week and saw one near P1. He couldn't have been more than 3-3.5 feet. Surprising that they'd shut everything down for the little guy, but I guess it's easier to relocate them at that size.

Quote Originally Posted by helodriver87 View Post
    I was out there last week and saw one near P1. He couldn't have been more than 3-3.5 feet. Surprising that they'd shut everything down for the little guy, but I guess it's easier to relocate them at that size.
    I suspect it is hard to trap when there are a lot of people swimming around.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    I suspect it is hard to trap when there are a lot of people swimming around.
    That's probably the case. I imagine trapping a gator is difficult enough as it is.

He seemed pretty content to just hang out near the shore and snap at dragonflies. We probably floated there for 10-15 minutes just watching him. Guess it becomes a bit less entertaining when he's triple the size and a bit territorial.

Job was done and park is open.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Job was done and park is open.

Was the gator over four feet? It's my understanding that any 'nuisance' gator over four feet is automatically killed.

It's a shame people can't coexist with wildlife. Gators were there a long time before we were.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe10540 View Post
    Just up at orange grove yesterday and P1-P3 are all closed through today or tomorrow due to an alligator that needs to be relocated. Not really sure why all of them needed to be closed for a single gator but it is what it is I guess. At least OG was open for diving. Viz was good too below 20?
    **Seen any piles of brownish golf balls on the floor of the basin ? This will inform you of any intimidating gators swimming around in there ! {not golf balls !}

Why can't we dive with Gators?

Quote Originally Posted by JonC View Post
    Why can't we dive with Gators?
    Pete Butt may be the best person to answer that question
    http://www.ocala.com/news/20100624/r...n-silver-river