Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wetwear custom wetsuits - review

All in all, my experience with WetWear was predictably awful. Most of you are already aware of this company and how they do business but here's a review for posterity and new cave divers who decide to go against literally everyone's advice.

I placed an order in November in 2016 and ever since, they treated me like a nuisance and repeatedly ignored phone calls, voicemails and emails. Only after I had Kate say something in public to them at Tekdive did they ever seem to give a **** about my transaction.

All I needed them to do was take the hood I gave them (that they made) and cut it apart and duplicate it, add one inch to the neck and make two of them. This took one and a half years to accomplish. And when I got the first round of hoods that weren?t anything like what I asked for, the guy that works there (Gene, maybe Connie?s husband?) lied to me and told me he did duplicate my hood despite the seams being all wrong and the forehead being way off. I had to send them pictures of me wearing the old one to confirm. No apology was offered (a running theme with WetWear). It would be another year before they could make this right. And after it all they tried to charge me even more money for shipping while claiming they charged me half of what they actually did. I?m scared to look at my credit card statements to see if they?ve been charging me for shipping every time, as they tried to do this without my knowledge and only called me when the card was declined (they had this card on file from the original order and it actually expired in the time it took to deliver my product). Connie actually told me she only charged me for one hood as a courtesy for taking so long. I showed her my credit card receipt showing I paid $291 back in November 2016 and proving otherwise, another email ignored and I have been offered no refund.

My hoods finally arrived last weekend and I wore one on a dive at Wakulla and it?s fine. For two hoods that are meant to be identical, they are not. The seam change I requested on the chin only exists on one hood. The other hood has a totally different seam situation. They both fit slightly different. And one of the hoods has a small piece of neoprene spliced in on the neck. I guess because it was too small and they needed to add some neoprene without remaking the hood?

All in all, I?m glad I didn?t need the money or the hoods or I would?ve handled this a lot differently. If it was a $1000 wetsuit, I?m not sure how I would?ve reacted.

BUYER BEWARE
    K01 is a solid option since no one reputable can make a g231n hood anymore. learn from my mistake!

K01 is a nice hood....but my 5MM turned into a 3MM or less w/in 3 months of intensive diving. Not what I was expecting based on rave reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post
    K01 is a nice hood....but my 5MM turned into a 3MM or less w/in 3 months of intensive diving. Not what I was expecting based on rave reviews.
    Mine did that on dive one and the stitching started unraveling. I've been told there was an issue with the early five mil hoods that has been resolved

Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post
    Mine didn't that on dive one and the stitching started unraveling. I've been told there was an issue with the early five mil hoods that has been resolved
    contact K01 directly or dive shop ?

contact K01 directly or dive shop ?
    Not sure if it’s a warranty deal or not because I just kept mine. I’d try the dealer you bought it from and see what they say

If anyone has a big head, I have an 8 mil K01 I'd do some horse trading for something. it's a XXL I think I'll have to look.

I did cut the face hole a little bigger than stock but I only wore it on a few dives. When I cut the face hole I put a dollop of liquid electrical tape on the ends of the seams to keep them from unraveling (which works btw)

edit: here's a pic http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showt...082#post334082

I measured my 5mm K01 with a micrometer then other day. Still 5mm (5.14-ish) after quite a few dives sub 200’ with it.

Shame about wetwear’s service and quality. Not surprised though.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcaj View Post
    i measured my 5mm k01 with a micrometer then other day. Still 5mm (5.14-ish) after quite a few dives sub 200’ with it.

Shame about wetwear’s service and quality. Not surprised though.
    oh look at aj with his perfect hood!!

Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    I measured my 5mm K01 with a micrometer then other day. Still 5mm (5.14-ish) after quite a few dives sub 200? with it.

Shame about wetwear?s service and quality. Not surprised though.
    need to get ahold of one of those to measure. i feel its paper thin (it was originally choking me to an extent)

need to get ahold of one of those to measure. i feel its paper thin (it was originally choking me to an extent)
    on mine you can tell where one panel attaches to the other. one is thinner than the other. and the logo has all but come off and the stitching isnt super good.
    that said, for a shallow water hood i still like it and wear it. under 100' or so i take the 8mil