Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Making Hose Retainers

Have you ever made your own elastic hose retainers for your tanks? Similar to what you can pickup on dive gear express for $7 each.... I figure it shouldn't be rocket science to whip out a bunch of these with the help of a sewing machine for less than $1 each. Only challenge... sourcing spools of the elastic/flat bungie. Anybody have a good source? I ordered some stuff from amazon but it was much thinner that I would like. Any pointers would be great.

Its difficult to find the right bungee for that, I've tried unsuccessfully in the past also. Most recently I've been using large orange rubber bands available in most every truck stop. The're $6 for 5 of them and work quite well.

Victor and I have made them, or more correctly Victors wife sewed them for us. Through my job I am able to source fire fighter suspenders which works very well. Unfortunately as that is a military and law enforcement product, it is not sold to the public, nor does that company sell to the public in general.

That said, I've circled back around and decided that I prefer using bungee cord anyway

There are three important ingredients to making good hose retainers, which took me a while to figure out before we manufactured them to sell. First is the elastic material that has already been mentioned, going to a distributor will still result in variations of stretch and thickness. We now purchase directly from the manufacturer with a contract that specifies stretch and thickness. Next is the length of cut for each size, a 1/16" will make a difference on how the retainer performs. Next is how it is sewn together, again any variation will make a difference in performance and durability. We invested in a very expensive sewing machine that gives us a consistent pattern and clamps the material together so there is no shifting in the material when it is sewn.

Bobby

The Light Dude
    Innovation through exploration

Local Zip Code Diver

Default Hose retainer bands

I bought a bunch of EPDM bands from Joe Tegg years ago and still have a couple remaining. They're not the same as the stretchy material used in DR kits but they are bullet-proof, last for years, and tough to beat the prices.

I believe they were $1.50 each, however, that was years ago. I have no idea if he still has these available but I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

Check-out this thread if EPDM bands are of consideration; http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showt...retainers+tegg

The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Michael F View Post
    I bought a bunch of EPDM bands from Joe Tegg years ago and still have a couple remaining. They're not the same as the stretchy material used in DR kits but they are bullet-proof, last for years, and tough to beat the prices.

I believe they were $1.50 each, however, that was years ago. I have no idea if he still has these available but I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

Check-out this thread if EPDM bands are of consideration; http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showt...retainers+tegg
    Joe Tegg doesn't dive much anymore, so he may not have any bands available. You might try sending him a PM, just in case he has some left he wants to get rid of.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by Michael F View Post

I have a bunch of these that I got from Joe as well. Excellent bands at a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Joe Tegg doesn't dive much anymore, so he may not have any bands available. You might try sending him a PM, just in case he has some left he wants to get rid of.
    Thanks Forrest, I just sent Joe an email to his business address to ask if the bands are still available.

The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

i prefer the elastic style bands... just thought it would be fun/cheaper to make my own. I found a few companies online that make the elastic... working on getting some specifics/samples now.

About every other year, I will get old inner tubes from the local tire place and cut them about 1.5 to 2 inches wide. I will get one size tube for an AL40 and another for my Al 80s and steel 85/95s. I cut out a tab to make them easier to pull out from the tank.

Safe diving,

Sandy Robinson