Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Light Monkey Reflector

The reflector on my LM 21w HID is looking very dull, scaled, deposits, distortions... I don't know how to describe it other then it looks like crap. And I've been noticing my light output looks about the same.

Has anyone ever seen this? Can it be buffed out or something? I see LM has a replacement part on their site but it's' $150. I' m wondering if there's any way to salvage what I have kinda like restoring headlight covers on an old car.

Quote Originally Posted by chrpai View Post
    The reflector on my LM 21w HID is looking very dull, scaled, deposits, distortions... I don't know how to describe it other then it looks like crap. And I've been noticing my light output looks about the same.

Has anyone ever seen this? Can it be buffed out or something? I see LM has a replacement part on their site but it's' $150. I' m wondering if there's any way to salvage what I have kinda like restoring headlight covers on an old car.
    Most likely the chrome has worn off. There is no way to fix this other than to send your reflector body in for it to be replaced. The $150 you saw is most likely for an entire new housing and reflector of which, you only need the latter. If you give them a call, I?m sure you?ll find out that it costs much less. Light Monkey customer service is and has always been top notch and very reasonable.

Thanks. I've contacted them. I was hoping that there was some way I could buff or coat it so I didn't have to bother them. We'll see what they say.

I bought this light used a couple years ago. I suspect it's probably 7 years old. It was actually a prototype for the Hog Lurid made by Light Monkey. The reflector assembly is engraved with the LM logo.

If it were me I'd try something inexpensive and simple like polishing it or using Chrome spray paint... nothing to lose

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

try simichrome on it. otherwise you can buy a new reflector for like 50 bucks. EE sells one, not sure if it fits the lm tho

Light Monkey rebuilt the old/used Salvo 21w HID that I bought and when they did they just popped the old reflector out of the head and glued in a new one for me while I was there.

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

Trey Lessard had one with the same problem. You may want to ask what he did but I'm assuming the best result would be having the reflector replaced.

David Moore
    JWEP, GSEP, OCDA

Is the base metal relatively intact? No major pitting or any perforations?

After you clean the base metal, electroplating a new chrome finish is not as complicated as you might think. You can buy a kit, and with a bit of prep work, electroplate a new chrome surface. Takes a bit of time, so you might want to stack up a pile of things that could use electroplating.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...4&action=click

Take only photos, leave only bubbles, kill only time.

Thank you everyone. The light is on it's way home to FL now.

It's funny... I feel like when I bring my car in for service and I start looking around at the new models on the lot.

I wonder what a freshly serviced 21w HID would go for and what I'd replace it with.

Thoughts?