Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Opinions on Deep6 regulators

Hi guys.

I'm just curious regarding Deep6 regulators.

To those of you who have owned them for a while I ask:

a) When comparing them to Apeks XTX50 or ScubaPro, how's the WOB?

b) Is maintenance cheaper or the same?

c) are they as safe as Apeks XTX50 or ScubaPro?

I thank you in advance for your help. Cheers!

orange is not the new black!

Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post
    orange is not the new black!
    Why not ? I like it, the only reason I could think of not to take orange is I could be mistaken for a Dutch Guy

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I like mine. They breathe as well as any Apeks I've used. I like that I can fix them myself without special dispensation, and parts are super easy to get, as well as a non-classified maintenance manual readily available.

I have several and all breathe pretty nicely, just the airflow has a feel that I cannot really put into words. I would describe it as like rolling around the edges of the mouthpiece, whereas the flow from my other regs (Apeks, Atomic, Scubapro, HOG) feels laminar down the center of the mouthpiece. I know it sounds weird but I cannot explain it any better. Another thing I noticed is that to me they feel heavy while scootering. I guess it has to do with the extra weight and probably bigger size in the flow. They don't feel heavy while swimming though and I'd have no problem buying again. I'd advise you try one, both swimming and scootering, before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I have several and all breathe pretty nicely, just the airflow has a feel that I cannot really put into words. I would describe it as like rolling around the edges of the mouthpiece, whereas the flow from my other regs (Apeks, Atomic, Scubapro, HOG) feels laminar down the center of the mouthpiece. I know it sounds weird but I cannot explain it any better. Another thing I noticed is that to me they feel heavy while scootering. I guess it has to do with the extra weight and probably bigger size in the flow. They don't feel heavy while swimming though and I'd have no problem buying again. I'd advise you try one, both swimming and scootering, before you buy.
    I can explain. My poppet makes it smoother with less Venturi than you are used to, it also performs better in gas flow than HOG, but yes feels different

Chris Richardson

Full disclosure, Chris and I are friends, though don't tell him it will go to his head.
    I got one of his Deep Six regs just like when he had HOG I got one of those regs. Unlike HOG I was extremely impressed when I got the Deep Six reg., he has full control of Deep Six and has made decisions that cost more on the manufacturing end however result in a better product. When I got the Deep Six reg I first checked the IP which I adjusted slightly, then I completely disassembled the regulator to inspect/review the internals, then reassembled the reg.. Not many regulators will go back together and hold their IP, which the Deep Six did, the internal parts are all top quality. I took it on a couple of dives and was impressed enough to get a second reg set and make them my primary regs to replace my Poseidon's that I've been diving for many decades. Then my wife, Dr. X, tried them and decided to replace her Dive Rites. We have been diving them now for around 2 years and they have been rock solid, no IP creep, and they simply breath smooth & easy. I haven't found any wear points that would indicate issues over time. I have a few Apex and SP's, I would put the Deep Six on par or better and in addition parts and maintenance are cheaper & easier.

Bobby

The Light Dude
    Innovation through exploration

Local Zip Code Diver

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    Full disclosure, Chris and I are friends, though don't tell him it will go to his head.
    I got one of his Deep Six regs just like when he had HOG I got one of those regs. Unlike HOG I was extremely impressed when I got the Deep Six reg., he has full control of Deep Six and has made decisions that cost more on the manufacturing end however result in a better product. When I got the Deep Six reg I first checked the IP which I adjusted slightly, then I completely disassembled the regulator to inspect/review the internals, then reassembled the reg.. Not many regulators will go back together and hold their IP, which the Deep Six did, the internal parts are all top quality.
    Bobby, (or Chris) from an engineering perspective, your comments peak my curiosity. To what do you attribute a hp seat capable of re seating a second time and holding a good seal? I've never had a Deep6 reg to tear down and inspect. Does it have a replaceable orafice? Are the machined sealing surfaces and hp seat assembly held to stricter tolerances to improve likelihood of hp seat finding a good seal on second assembly? Or possibly just a random spot of good luck?

You seem to be indicating the former. Just wondering if that is something repeatable with a better than average chance for success.

My biggest concern with Deep6 is parts availability. I picked up a Deep6 reg over black friday. It was supposed to come with a service kit for the 1st and 2nd. I didn't get the 2nd. I opened a ticket and I was told to check in a few weeks later. Their website crashed and my account and ticket was lost. 6 months later and the website still shows the 2nd stage service kit as unavailable. This worries me a bit. This reg is for a deco bottle and I've barely done any tech diving in the last 6 months so I'm not supper worried yet but at some point I need to get that service kit and another round of them just to make sure I'm set for years to come.