Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ginnie Springs 5/18

Looking to make some easy dives at Ginnie. TDI intro certified diving in sidemount and possibly slinging a 40 to work on my trim. I?d love to pick someone?s brain about taking pictures and video in the caves too!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe10540 View Post
    slinging a 40 to work on my trim. I?d love to pick someone?s brain about taking pictures and video in the caves too!
    I generally think that until people are full cave with experience and very good skills, they need to leave cameras and go pros at home. Learn to dive the caves and take mental pictures. If your friends and family want to see what you do, then refer them to Jill or Becky's websites.

I'm 200 dives post full cave and still think gettting a good photo with a camera in Ginnie while working with the flow would be tricky.

Probably not a bad suggestion. I’ll keep the camera in OW for another year or so.

Probably not a bad suggestion. I?ll keep the camera in OW for another year or so.
    At intro your just going to be taking photos of all the scarred parts of the cave anyway. (probably where everybody was more worried about their gopro than their fins)

Are there any system maps with gold line locations on them? Since I’m not technically allowed to make navigation decisions yet it would be nice to be able to plan routes before actually going down and seeing where the gold line is.

Are there any system maps with gold line locations on them? Since I?m not technically allowed to make navigation decisions yet it would be nice to be able to plan routes before actually going down and seeing where the gold line is.
    For Ginnie? The Hancock map has them. It's an expensive map, but an awesomely done map. They have it at CCDS I think. I haven't seen it at EE.

Unfortunately, most maps don't have the lines on them. I wish more would, eventhough they can change regularly. It's still nice to have an idea of what you should expect, and then you can adjust if it's different than planned.

Check CaveAtlas. Here's one for Ginnie that has the goldline hand drawn in.

Here, I just marked the goldline in red. It's kinda sloppy due to using my fat finger on a small phone screen, but is close enough.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-09 14.26.25.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	18258

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Thank you for such quick replies! Now to study the front of the system and see what I can expect to get to.

Still looking for a dive buddy for the 18th. Willing to go to other locations other than Ginnie but I am traveling from Tampa so th farthernorth I go the less time I have to dive (dogs can only go about 13 hours before they start peeing in the house)