Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Primary lights.

I use an Dive Rite LX-20. On Adler's dive I spent 40 bucks on a spare set of 18650 batteries, however I've never need to do a battery swap yet as it has enough burn time for 4-6 hours on high.

I use an Underwater Light Dude 3500 lumens primary light with the tall canister, it is a 160 WH lithium battery, and safe for air travel (TSA approved max size) the head has a penzo switch, and has three power settings, on low, I think it burns for 20 hours, on high, I think five, if I am not mistaken, but I've never used up the battery, even on longer dives. Incredibly durable, it takes all the abuse I give it and comes back for more. UWLD lights are a latchless battery canister, very innovative and slick, no latches to catch on or have to fuss with. The battery is simply charged by seating the bottom into a base charger, you never have to crack open the battery compartment! UWLD has the best ideas and customer service out there, and you get what you pay for here!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob309 View Post
    I called them on Friday and asked about a replacement, the person I spoke to stated that I’d have to send them my light so they could determine the correct battery. I said that it was a Salvo and built by the monkeys. I was told that LM had no affiliation with Salvo and that Salvo went out of business a decade ago. I heard nothing but great things about them, but was very disappointed in this. If the light does fail, I seriously have considered purchasing either a new LM or a Dive Rite
    that's weird. LM has always supported my salvo light. they even just send me a couple o rings for it for no charge a few weeks ago
    do you have the 10ah battery? measure and see if this fits it. it's what i use for mine
    http://www.batteryspace.com/Custom-L...ing-light.aspx

as to the OP i recommend the halcyon focus 2

I believe my Salvo 10Ah-21W HID was purchased in 2006, it was one of the first runs of Li batteries from Salvo IIRC.
    Since then the only original Salvo part is the canister and light head housing/goodman handle.

LM has replaced everything inside over the years including the reflector, HID bulb, cords, electronics, except the battery. I have ordered the same as LiteHeaded from batteryspace.com .

The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael F View Post
    I believe my Salvo 10Ah-21W HID was purchased in 2006, it was one of the first runs of Li batteries from Salvo IIRC.
    Since then the only original Salvo part is the canister and light head housing/goodman handle.

LM has replaced everything inside over the years including the reflector, HID bulb, cords, electronics, except the battery. I have ordered the same as LiteHeaded from batteryspace.com .
    Yea mine is all light monkey parts at this point (was. Recently sold the light head)
    They’ve always supported me just as well as Barry Miller used to in the old days

Halcyon Focus 2.0 is the best light I've ever seen, I'm referring to the actual light beam itself, I'm a tourist cave diver, I'm there for pure enjoyment, that light gives me the best results, specially the fact it produces the least amount of backscatter with the furthest penetration

I've owned a number of lights over the twenty plus years I've needed this type of primary light... Dive Rite,Salvo & Halcyon and a few others but the one I have been most happy with are my Lightdude lights. I have the 160 for my primary (as well as a couple of their video lights) and love how robust they are. The piezo switch on the lighthead eliminates the traditional switch failure point. It works so well I see others have recently adopted this as well for turning on/off their lights. There is never a need to open it up, merely drop it on the charging base and your good. Much like Dan mentioned earlier, I've also never had a light go out, even on longer dives so they have great burn times. The other really cool thing is the services...if you have an issue, Bobby will do everything he can to make you whole and minimize your time without a light. Without pandering too much, they are the best lights I've ever owned.

People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot. - Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Quote Originally Posted by jerrwhy01 View Post
    I use an Dive Rite LX-20. On Adler's dive I spent 40 bucks on a spare set of 18650 batteries, however I've never need to do a battery swap yet as it has enough burn time for 4-6 hours on high.
    +1 on the LX20. I'm a huge fan of this light and have been using it since it released. I'm still on the same set of 18650 batteries and still get a solid 4 hours of burn time. The light is extremely rugged and well made and has never let me down. Having the freedom of no canister is awesome (though can lights are definitely essiential to cave diving and have a place). Definitely check out the LX20, or I think now they have a LX25. Either way check it out!